The Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development in partnership with Star Microinsurance Services Limited have launched the Fishermen Life Insurance Scheme (FLIS) for fishermen across the country.
Star Microinsurance is a specialized Microinsurance intermediary for Star Life/Star Assurance Company Limited.
FLIS can be seen as a financial inclusion scheme intended for artisanal fishermen who seem to have been excluded from the formal financial services due to their income levels, levels of risk, nature of their business or level of financial literacy. The dangers associated with the activities of the fishermen (marine and inland fishing) require the need for affordable and accessible Microinsurance insurance solutions for them.
The Fishermen Life Insurance Scheme (FLIS) is an innovative insurance product that seeks to provide insurance cover on the life of the fishermen and their fishing gears. The first pilot phase is currently on going in the Greater Accra, Western and Central region in selected landing beaches such as; Half Assini, Axim, Elmina, Shama, Ankaful, Apam, James Town and Aplabanya.
The second pilot phase will cover Volta, Eastern, Brong Ahafo and Northern regions in selected landing beaches including; Woe and Adina, Dzemeni, Kpando, Abotoase, Nkwanta, Dambai, Bupe, Adawso, Akateng and Ekye Amanfrom. This project when completed will provide an insurance coverage for over 200,000 fishermen across the country.
More Business Headlines
- Next 10 years critical to finalizing obstacles hampering single market - AU
- Customers of insolvent S&L companies decry 'unclear' validation forms
- Jack Daniel’s to boost local market share with Accra Street Music Festival
- MTN set to rollout $20 smartphone
- Menzgold is not a Ponzi scheme, customers not greedy
- Risks to growth 'increasing by the day' - AfDB
- AirtelTigo takes lead with ‘no expiry’ voice and data bundles
- Depositors of insolvent S&L companies will receive all their funds- Receiver
- Gov’t does not owe GN Savings and Loans – BoG reacts to viral claim
- S&L cleanup: Payment of depositor’s claims to begin before end of August
- Savings and Loans sector cleanup: BoG approach should have been less destructive
- GRA staff urged to abide by codes of conduct
- Photos: MTN Heroes of Change receive awards
- Photos: Patrons get results at 2nd JoyNews Habitat Mini Fair
- A $1.6 billion horror as Ghana investors can’t get their savings