The Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development in partnership with Star Microinsurance Services Limited have launched the Fishermen Life Insurance Scheme (FLIS) for fishermen across the country.
Star Microinsurance is a specialized Microinsurance intermediary for Star Life/Star Assurance Company Limited.
FLIS can be seen as a financial inclusion scheme intended for artisanal fishermen who seem to have been excluded from the formal financial services due to their income levels, levels of risk, nature of their business or level of financial literacy. The dangers associated with the activities of the fishermen (marine and inland fishing) require the need for affordable and accessible Microinsurance insurance solutions for them.
The Fishermen Life Insurance Scheme (FLIS) is an innovative insurance product that seeks to provide insurance cover on the life of the fishermen and their fishing gears. The first pilot phase is currently on going in the Greater Accra, Western and Central region in selected landing beaches such as; Half Assini, Axim, Elmina, Shama, Ankaful, Apam, James Town and Aplabanya.
The second pilot phase will cover Volta, Eastern, Brong Ahafo and Northern regions in selected landing beaches including; Woe and Adina, Dzemeni, Kpando, Abotoase, Nkwanta, Dambai, Bupe, Adawso, Akateng and Ekye Amanfrom. This project when completed will provide an insurance coverage for over 200,000 fishermen across the country.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Upper West: 1,022 bags of maize harvested under PFJs
- Gov’t, Labour agree to build consensus on dev’t issues
- Ofori-Atta steers World Bank/IMF Development Committee on global dev't issues
- Airports Company considers reserving Terminal 2 for home-based carrier
- Gov't working to reduce aviation fuel, other airline taxes
- GNPC Foundation produces best ever local rice
- Good or bad? GUTA, AGI disagree on reduction of import duties
- Emirates rolls out special Easter menus
- Today's students are 'irrelevant' to tomorrow’s market - Ken Thompson
- Old Mutual Ghana rewards top performing staff with trip to Zaina Lodge
- Pay your taxes to ensure success of Ghana Beyond Aid policy – GRA official
- PDS blames GRIDco for Thursday’s intermittent power outages
- GRA to introduce electronic Vehicle Income Tax payment
- Aviation Ministry details why KIA is not for sale
- World's most miserable economy has seven-figure inflation