Dr. Abdul-Nashiru Issahaku has been appointed by His Excellency the President of the Republic of Ghana as the Governor of the Bank of Ghana with effect from Friday, April 1, 2016.
Dr. Issahaku is an International Development Economist with several years of experience in economic policy management and development, having worked with reputable international and local institutions.
He worked with the World Bank as a Senior Public Sector Specialist; the African Development Bank (ADB) as a Principal Governance Expert and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa as a Development Management Officer.
Also, Dr. Issahaku was a Socio-Economic Advisor and Project Coordinator for the Canadian International Development Agency as well as working as a Senior Planning Analyst with Ghana National Development Planning Commission.
Before his appointment as Governor, he was the Second Deputy Governor and Executive Board member with oversight responsibilities of nine departments including Economics, Statistics, Finance, Legal, Banking Supervision and Financial Stability.
He is also the Chairman of the Investment Management Committee of the Central Bank and a member of the Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee.
Dr. Issahakuis a member of Ghana’s Economic Management Team. He chairs the Finance and Administration (F&A) Committee of the Ghana Cocoa Marketing Company and he is the Commissioner and Chairman of the F&A Committee of the Securities and Exchange Commission.
He was previously the Chief Executive Officer of the Export Development and Agriculture Investment Fund, which he restructured and helped restore to operational effectiveness before his appointment to the central banking 2013.
Dr. Abdul-Nashiru Issahaku has a Doctorate in International Affairs and Development from Clark Atlanta University, MBA in Finance and Strategic Management from Maharishi University of Management, USA, and Bachelors in Business Administration from the International Islamic University, Malaysia.
He has a certificate in Public Financial Management from Harvard University Kennedy School.
Dr. Issahaku has effectively managed and supervised complex projects of international proportions. He was the Task Manager for Gambia’s Economic Management Programme(2004 – 2009). He also spearheaded the Institutional Budget Support Programme for Tanzania (2005 – 2009).
Dr. Issahaku loves writing and has authored several publications including his much-acclaimed research work on the “Political Economy of Economic Reforms in Ghana”, “Capacity Building for Good Governance and Poverty Reduction in Parliamentary Systems” and “Human Rights, Economic Development and Democracy”.
From the Royal Zambang family of Kunbungu, Dr. Issahaku started his education in Tamale and attended Tamale Secondary School where he obtained his GCE ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels.
He was a member of the school’s Debate Society and a Senior House Prefect. He was a known sportsman at the school and in the Northern Region where he was once the Table Tennis Champion.
Dr. Issahaku is married and has four children.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Africa's no. 1 bank says Lonmin Investors should reject bid
- Entervarsity launches platform to aid students' search on courses
- VIDEO: Review of Ghana’s home ownership, mortgage space
- Court orders arbitration on uniBank
- Stratcomm Africa CEO inspires young Women in PR Ghana
- Facebook plans to launch 'GlobalCoin' currency in 2020
- Unilever Ghana records 296% increase in profits for 2018
- Senegal imports turbines for West Africa's first big wind farm project
- Six oil exploration blocks up for grabs in Voltaian basin
- Stakeholders urge GNPC to be more transparent with crude oil trade
- 200 Muslim households benefit from Karpowership Ramadan donation
- Three Ghanaians complete Inlaks Graduate Development Programme in Lagos
- GOIL grows profits by 26% in 2018
- GOIL to invest about $25m in ExxonMobil deal in 5yrs
- Managing Director of GOIL Patrick Akorli to retire in November