Ace investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas was awarded at the just ended maiden Ghana Shippers Awards for his outstanding work in crusading against corruption.
This was in recognition of his investigative work at the Tema Port in 2011 which brought major changes in port operations and brought to the fore the loopholes through which the nation was losing millions of cedis.
He was excited that his hard work has been recognised and called on government not to relent in its effort to sanitise port operations and make it more transparent to help attract investors into the country.
Mr Anas on the night also had an award named after him, The Anas Aremeyaw Anas Award for Transparency, which he personally presented to West Blue Consulting.
The Anas Aremeyaw Anas Award for Transparency which will be presented annually is given to an individual, organisation or institution implementing innovative initiatives that promote transparency and accountability in the Shipping industry.
The award winner must be seen as an inspiration to the anti-corruption movement because their actions echo a common message; corruption can be challenged.
Over 20 companies won various awards with McDan Shipping and BenMarine Services Limited winning three awards apiece.
Other companies that won awards on the night include GCNet, WestBlue Consulting, Swissport Ghana Limited, Air Ghana, Ghana Airport Company Limited, Transglobal Logistics, Aramex, Amaris Terminal and Nestle Ghana Limited.
The top ten most transparent shippers for the year 2016 were also recognised with GOIL being the most transparent shipper.
Other companies that made the list are Vivo Energy Ghana Limited, Total Petroleum Ghana Limited, Star Oil Company Limited, Zen Petroleum Limited, Dangote Cement Ghana Limited, Royal Bow Company Limited, Wilmar Africa Limited, Olam Ghana Limited and B 5 - Plus Limited.
The Minister of Transport, Kwaku Ofori Asiamah, was optimistic that the awards will motivate industry to lift up their game and also deliver quality service to clients.
He reiterated government’s commitment to support projects that will uplift the image of the shipping industry on the international scene and was going to do so through public-private partnership.
Ms Benonita Bismarck, CEO of the Ghana Shippers’ Authority said the awards cut across industries and provides a platform to recognize individuals and companies that play a significant role in the growth and development of the industry.
She praised the awards for also recognising the key functions within the industry that promote growth and sustainability.
Speaking to the press after the awards, Latif Abubakar, CEO of Globe Productions, organisers of the awards, expressed great satisfaction and congratulated winners and all nominees for the feat chalked.
He was hopeful the awards will go a long way to increase the healthy competition in the industry.
Below is a list of winners of the Ghana Shippers Awards – 2017
- ANAS AREMEYAW ANAS TRANSPARENCY AWARDS - WEST BLUE CONSULTING
- COURIER SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR- ARAMEX
- BREAK BULK OPERATOR OF THE YEAR - GMT SHIPPING
- AIR FREIGHT SOLUTION PROVIDER OF THE YEAR - AIR GHANA
- SEA FREIGHT SOLUTIONS PROVIDER OF THE YEAR - CONSOLIDATED SHIPPING AGENCIES LIMITED
- AIR CARGO CARRIER OF THE YEAR - TURKISH AIRLINE
- FREIGHT FORWARDER OF THE YEAR - BAJ FREIGHT
- EXCELLENCE IN HSEQ AWARD - GHANA AIRPORTS COMPANY LIMITED
- EXCELLENCE IN CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY - MCDAN SHIPPING CO. LTD
- PROMISING FREIGHT FORWARDING COMPANY OF THE YEAR - TRANSGLOBAL LOGISTICS
- PROMISING CEO OF THE YEAR - DR. KOFI AMOAH-ABBAN
- TERMINAL OF THE YEAR - APM TERMINALS GHANA LTD
- BRAND OF THE YEAR - MCDAN SHIPPING COMPANY LIMITED
- TRADE FACILITATION COMPANY OF THE YEAR - GCNET
- LOGISTICS SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR - CONSOLIDATED SHIPPING AGENCIES LIMITED
- REPORTER OF THE YEAR - KEN MORNAH (THE NEW MARITIME & TRANSPORT DIGEST and STARR FM)
- FINANCIAL SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR - GUARANTY TRUST BANK
- MARITIME & LOGISTICS INSURER OF THE YEAR - STAR ASSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
- CUSTOMER SERVICE AWARD - DAMCO LOGISTICS GHANA LIMITED
- CEO OF THE YEAR - DR. NORTEY OMABOE, GCNET
- EXPORTER OF THE YEAR - BARRY CALLEBAUT GHANA LIMITED
- IMPORTER OF THE YEAR - TOTAL PETROLEUM GHANA LIMITED
- SHIPPER OF THE YEAR - NESTLE GHANA LIMITED
- SHIPPING LINE OF THE YEAR - MAERSK LINE
- SHIPPING AGENT OF THE YEAR - GRIMALDI GHANA LIMITED
- GROUND HANDLING – AIR CARGO OF THE YEAR - SWISSPORT GHANA LIMITED
- ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR - DR. DANIEL MCKORLEY - MCDAN SHIPPING
- EMERGING BRAND OF THE YEAR - DAMCO RIGWORLD
- BULK DISTRIBUTION COMPANY OF THE YEAR - BULK OIL STORAGE AND TRANSPORTATION CO. LTD
- PRODUCT INNOVATION OF THE YEAR - OMNI BANK (OMNI CARGO)
- MARITIME MEDIA PROGRAMME OF THE YEAR - EYE ON THE PORT
- INDIGENOUS MARINE COMPANY OF THE YEAR - BENMARINE SERVICES LIMITED
- DOMESTIC COURIER SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR - BLUE CHIP
- PROMISING TERMINAL OF THE YEAR - AMARIS TERMINAL
- PROMISING LOGISTICS COMPANY OF THE YEAR - DAMCO RIGWORLD
- PROMISING ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR - BERNARD LOMOTEY AGBLOE (BENMARINE SERVICES LIMITED)
- HAULIER OF THE YEAR - APEX SHIPPING & COMMERCIAL CO. LTD
- PROJECT/HEAVY LIFT FORWARDER THE YEAR - JONMOORE INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
- PROMISING MARINE SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR - BENMARINE SERVICES LIMITED
- MARINE SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR - SEA AND SHORE LIMITED
- NATIONAL CHAMPION - SHIPPING, PORT POLICY& REGIONAL MARITIME POLICY REFORMS - MR. MAGNUS TEYE ADDICO
- STRATEGIC CHAMPION - SHIPPER SERVICES AND INT. MARITIME LEGISLATIVE REFORMS - DR. KOFI MBIAH
- PORT SECTOR REFORMS AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT CHAMPION - MR. BEN OWUSU-MENSAH
- COMMERCIAL SHIPPING AND PRIVATE SECTOR CHAMPION - ALHAJI ASUMA BANDA
- INDUSTRY LEADERSHIP AWARD - GHANA PORTS AND HABOUR AUTHORITY
- INDUSTRY LEADERSHIP AWARD - GHANA MARITIME AUTHORITY
- INDUSTRY LEADERSHIP AWARD - GHANA AIRPORTS COMPANY LIMITED
- ANTI-CORRUPTION CRUSADE - ANAS AREMEYAW ANAS