He has been nominated 91 times for several awards including American Music Awards, World Music Awards, BET Awards, BET Hip Hop Awards, Billboard Awards, Grammy Awards, MOBO Awards, MTV Europe Music Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, Channel O Music Video Awards, Teen Choice Awards, Vibe Awards and has to his credit 31 awards.
He was recently named Forbes Richest African Musician, and come Saturday November 23, Akon, proud son of Africa and an international super star, will be thrilling Ghanaian fans in an electrifying performance at the Accra Sports Stadium.
Akon will be headlining the Guinness Big Eruption Concert alongside International Hip Hop Star Big Sean, Wizkid from Nigeria, and our own stars Samini and Shatta Wale, in what is being billed as a once in a lifetime show.
With music in his genes, Akon learned to play five instruments, including drums, guitar and djembe. At age 7, he moved with his family to Union City, New Jersey, splitting his time between the United States and Senegal until settling in Newark, New Jersey.
"Locked Up" reached 8th position in the U.S. and 5th in the UK. In 2005, he released the single "Lonely, the song reached the top five on the Billboard Hot 100, and topped the charts in Australia, the UK and Germany. His album also climbed to number one in the UK in April 2005.
Akon's second album, 'Konvicted' included collaborations with Eminem, Snoop Dogg and Styles P. The first single "Smack That" featuring Eminem was released in August 2006 and peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 for five consecutive weeks.
"I Wanna Love You," (featuring Snoop Dogg) was the second single released in September, it earned Akon his first number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100, and Snoop's second. "I Wanna Love You" topped the U.S. charts for two consecutive weeks.
In January 2007, a third single "Don't Matter" which earned him his first solo number one and second consecutive Hot 100 chart topper was released.
Akon has also toured around the globe staging magnificent concerts and graced international stages, some of these international tours are Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania One-off Concert (2006), Konvicted Tour (July to September 2007), The Sweet Escape Tour with Gwen Stefani (April to July 2007), Good Girl Gone Bad Tour with Rihanna (Canadian-leg only, September – December 2008), Konvict Muzik Tour with T-Pain (Australia only, October 26–27, 2009), Brazilian Mini-Tour, (Brazil, January 2010), Brazilian Mini-Tour, (Brazil, January 2010), OMG Tour with Usher (North America Second Leg, April – June 2011).
With a huge portfolio of chart toppers to sing along and dance to, Ghanaians are in for a fantastic time with AKON at the Guinness Big Eruption Concert on Saturday 23rd November from 7;30pm.
To get an invitation to this exhilarating concert, Buy a six pack Guinness from any of the designated outlets: Game, Baatsonaa Total, U- Save (Tema), Darkuman Total, Marina Mall and Rice and Sugar or better still Interact with the Guinness Facebook page or Get spotted by the G-Men in town enjoying Guinness.
The Guinness Big Eruption Concert is brought to you by Guinness – Made of more.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Jussie Smollett arrested over false attack report
- Video: Akufo-Addo seals SONA speech with kiss from Rebecca
- New Music: Mimlife Records new act ‘Mista Myles’ drops new song
- Our welcoming attitude is the strongest tourist attraction – Akufo-Addo
- Gov't to complete 2 theatres in creative industry - Akufo-Addo
- Vodafone joins Stanbic Jazz train for 3rd time in a row
- Ebony’s unreleased songs: 60% for Bullet, 40% for me – Dad
- Stop pressuring me to marry – Patience Nyarko
- We don’t know Akuapem Poloo – Chief denies her
- Photos: Music Producer, Kaywa ordained man of God
- Oscars 2019: 17 quirky facts about this year's Academy Awards
- Okyeame Kwame, wife present third edition of ‘Flaunt Your Lover’
- Let’s cast our nets wider when booking artistes for shows – Tic
- Video: Meet #empawa100 final ten artistes
- Drake buys $400,000 diamond encrusted iPhone case