Ghanaian dancehall artiste, Charles Nii Armah Mensah Jnr popularly known as Shatta Wale was adjudged African Artiste of the Year at this year’s Nigeria Entertainment Awards.
He beat off competition from Ghanaian musicians, Sarkodie, and R2Bees; South Africans, Uhuru, Mafikizolo, and Mi Casa; and Congolese singer Fally Ipupa to win the award.
The 9th edition of the Nigeria Entertainment Awards (NEA) came off at the Skirball Performing Arts Center in New York Sunday night.
Nana Asiama Hanson (Bulldog), manager of Shatta Wale, told Myjoyonline.com that prior to the awards, they were very confident of winning “considering the amount of time and work we put in this year.”
Shatta Wale, who won Artiste of the Year at this year’s Ghana Music Awards, has also been nominated for the 2014 International Reggae and World Music Awards (IRAWMA).
To make it a double on the international stage, he has to beat off stiff competition from Daniel Bambatta Marley (Jamaica), MC Norman (Uganda), Alkaline (Jamaica), DABO (Tanzania), and Kranium (Jamaica).
The 2014 International Reggae and World Music Awards (IRAWMA) will come on at the Coral Springs Centre for the Arts, South Florida on Saturday, October 4, 2014.
Shatta Wale, who was in the US to receive the African Artiste of the Year award, is expected to be back in Ghana by the end of the week.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Royal Commonwealth Society unveils ambassadors for 2019 Queen’s Commonwealth Essay competition
- Epilepsy charity 'says SA fainting dance craze should end'
- Photos: Ghana, Nigeria delegation arrive in South Africa for tourism hosting
- Kim Porter's son pens emotional post about his late mother
- Video: NDC Congress: Oye Lithur dances to Shatta’s “I know my level”
- Video: Check out Rawlings' dance moves at Konadu's birthday bash
- Elvis Presley to get US Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joe Mettle to thrill audience at praise jam thanksgiving
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay
- 2018 AFRIMA in limbo, organisers to call off Ghana event if gov’t…
- Video: Royal visit was just wrong – Fuse ODG
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority