Ghanaian actress, film producer, and Harvard University graduate Juliet Asante is spearheading a campaign to promote the sale and marketing of Ghanaian movies on mobile phones.
Juliet, who is the CEO of Eagle Productions, is hoping that the introduction of her Mobilefliks platform, which is the first of its kind on the continent, will boost the patronage of Ghanaian movies on the go.
The actress told Myjoyonline.com that, Mobilefliks, made exclusively to view preferably on mobile phones, is an idea aimed at giving access “to movies anywhere and anytime on the device that is predominantly used as the gadget of choice for entertainment by the young people in Africa. More people in Africa have mobile phones than TV or electricity.”
She explained that Mobilefliks has a low pricing strategy and is available directly from the network platform. “In Ghana, the main platform is MTN, with the other networks scrambling to catch up.”
According to her, since its launch last November, the platform – which is online and also in a form of an android app - has seen over 60,000 downloads on just one network and hitting 100,000 on all platforms.
Juliet Asante revealed that Eagle Productions Limited has just signed a deal that will take the product to over 30 countries.
Explaining the inspiration behind the platform, the film producer disclosed that three things motivated her to come up with the product.
“One, that mobile phones is the gadget of the century; two, that most movies are not told well enough to last for 90 minutes and that 3, it has a huge opportunity to impact the industry positively by improving skill sets and offering jobs to many young people,” she explained.
“All Mobilefliks are less than 10 minutes long and are full stories,” Juliet added.
Follow me on Twitter @delaXdela and Instagram @ citizendela
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Ghana praised for supporting Vis-à-vis Festival
- English language did trick for ‘Be Lifted’ penetrating Africa - MOG
- Show evidence of new factories – John Dumelo charges gov’t
- Video: I’d love to settle in Ghana after retirement- Tim Godfrey
- Ark band performs live on Joy FM’s Cosmopolitan Mix
- Creative Arts Council, media pay courtesy call on Ghana Embassy in Spain
- Listen: 'Already' by Beyoncé ft Shatta Wale
- Storm Energy partners Silverbird to premiere Lion King
- FaceApp: Celebs fall in love with AgeChallenge
- Cobby Raymond releases Kojo Antwi inspired song
- MUSIGA has ¢70,000 locked up in Menzgold - Bessa Simons
- Nicki Minaj hints on signing Ghanaian act
- People aren’t celebrating GuiltyBeatz's prod. on Beyoncé's album – Ameyaw Debrah
- AFCON 2019: Fuse ODG to perform at closing ceremony
- Kevin Spacey: Massachusetts prosecutors drop sex assault case