Until Saturday night, bubbly Ghanaian singer Efya, born Jane Awindor, was comfortably seated on her throne as the undisputed female vocalist in Ghana.
After four years, a daredevil has unseated her. There is a new queen in town, Wiyaala.
Efya won Best Female Vocal Performance for the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 editions of the Ghana Music Awards and was looking forward to make 2015 her fifth. That was never to be.
At the awards night at the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC), Wiyaala, born Noella Wiyaala, proved to be a stronger force to reckon with.
Wiyaala with her song ‘Tinambaynyi’ beat Efya, Becca, Raquel, Jael Wiafe and MzVee to the title.
Prior to the main awards, the musician, who hails from Wa in the Upper West region, had picked up the Songwriter of the Year award at the Industry Awards.
With her lean, compact shape and trademark cropped hair, Wiyaala, has not only a fashionably androgynous look, but also a flourishing music career.
Her career started off humbly in 2011 when she auditioned for the Stars of the Future reality show where she earned a spot in the finals - winning two Golden Moments awards.
In 2012, she, a member of Black N Peach, won Vodafone ICONS Mixed Edition music reality show. She left the Black N Peach band in April 2013 to pursue a solo career with Djimba World Records.
In 2014, Wiyaala swept two deserving awards at the maiden edition of the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) held in Lagos, Nigeria.
She received two 23.9-carat gold-plated trophies for The Most Promising Artiste in Africa and The Revelation of the African Continent.
Unseating Efya as the Best Female Vocal Performance at the VGMA is truly a remarkable achievement, one she will savour for a long time.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Epilepsy charity 'says SA fainting dance craze should end'
- Photos: Ghana, Nigeria delegation arrive in South Africa for tourism hosting
- Kim Porter's son pens emotional post about his late mother
- Video: NDC Congress: Oye Lithur dances to Shatta’s “I know my level”
- Video: Check out Rawlings' dance moves at Konadu's birthday bash
- Elvis Presley to get US Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joe Mettle to thrill audience at praise jam thanksgiving
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay
- 2018 AFRIMA in limbo, organisers to call off Ghana event if gov’t…
- Video: Royal visit was just wrong – Fuse ODG
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle