Until Saturday night, bubbly Ghanaian singer Efya, born Jane Awindor, was comfortably seated on her throne as the undisputed female vocalist in Ghana.
After four years, a daredevil has unseated her. There is a new queen in town, Wiyaala.
Efya won Best Female Vocal Performance for the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 editions of the Ghana Music Awards and was looking forward to make 2015 her fifth. That was never to be.
At the awards night at the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC), Wiyaala, born Noella Wiyaala, proved to be a stronger force to reckon with.
Wiyaala with her song ‘Tinambaynyi’ beat Efya, Becca, Raquel, Jael Wiafe and MzVee to the title.
Prior to the main awards, the musician, who hails from Wa in the Upper West region, had picked up the Songwriter of the Year award at the Industry Awards.
With her lean, compact shape and trademark cropped hair, Wiyaala, has not only a fashionably androgynous look, but also a flourishing music career.
Her career started off humbly in 2011 when she auditioned for the Stars of the Future reality show where she earned a spot in the finals - winning two Golden Moments awards.
In 2012, she, a member of Black N Peach, won Vodafone ICONS Mixed Edition music reality show. She left the Black N Peach band in April 2013 to pursue a solo career with Djimba World Records.
In 2014, Wiyaala swept two deserving awards at the maiden edition of the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) held in Lagos, Nigeria.
She received two 23.9-carat gold-plated trophies for The Most Promising Artiste in Africa and The Revelation of the African Continent.
Unseating Efya as the Best Female Vocal Performance at the VGMA is truly a remarkable achievement, one she will savour for a long time.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Don’t date for too long - MzVee advises
- Bleaching is not the beauty standard – Fuse ODG
- MTN's Digital Music conference focuses on local artistes
- Artistes paid to put my name in their songs - Appietus
- 'I never invested in Menzgold' - Okyeame Kwame
- We dated for 5 years – Adekunle Gold confirms getting married to Simi
- Married life with Annica has been amazing - Okyeame Kwame
- Video: Yvonne Okoro reveals recording sex tape with ex-boyfriend
- I admire Abedi Pele so much – Adina
- Video: Adekunle Gold, Simi release new song to celebrate their wedding
- Daddy Lumba, Kojo Antwi comparison impossible - Okyeame Kwame
- Photos: Ataa Mensah of 'Showcase in Ga' dies at 91
- Video/Photos: Daughters of Glorious Jesus pay courtesy call to Multimedia Group
- Video: I've forgiven my parents for throwing me away when I was born – Don Little
- I'm not bothered by the young ones using my songs - Kojo Antwi