Rapper and philanthropist, Kwame Nsiah-Apau, known in showbiz as Okyeame Kwame has received a United States Presidential Volunteer Service Award for his outstanding humanitarian effort.
The award was presented to him on Sunday, March 19 in Ohio by America’s immediate past Ex-President Barack Obama, in recognition for his Hepatitis B campaign in Ghana.
The Presidential Service Award, the highest civilian honour is granted to people for their voluntary community service towards development.
Starting in 2009, the awardee has in partnership with MDS-Lancet Laboratories spearheaded and funded the screening, vaccination, sensitisation of over 7,000 beneficiaries against the deadly Hepatitis B disease in his Ghana.
The award was presented to him by Dr. Pauline Key, on behalf of the former president. The award came with a congratulatory plaque with an inscription,"Outstanding Humanitarian Service in Ghana".
The artiste expressed his appreciation to President Obama for the honour and pledged even greater intensity of his campaign towards ridding Africa of Hepatitis.
Management of the artiste announced earlier this year that plans are far advanced to extend the Hepatitis activations to West African countries in the coming months.
Not long ago, Okyeame Kwame was given the key to the city of Cincinnati for the same reason, as well as an appointment as an iconic figure by the World Hepatitis Alliance.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle
- Video: Kidi is best vocalist in Ghana but he's not on my album – Kuami Eugene
- Video: I’m cool with Shatta Wale, beef was just business – Criss Waddle
- Uncompleted Volta Regional theatre abandoned for 20 yrs
- 8 days of no 'dumsor' shocks Nollywood actor
- MultiChoice clean sweep at Africa TV industry Awards
- Video/Photos: Labadi Beach Hotel picks 3 prestigious awards at 2018 GEM Awards
- I love your hard African face – Medikal tells Fella Makafui
- 2019 Nigerian Election: Musician Banky W joins politics
- Depression is real; seek help – Obour advices fellow musicians
- NGMA: Gifty Osei, Patience Nyarko, Joe Mettle others nominated
- Video: I haven’t quit acting, God’s work taking my time - Majid Michel
- Profanity: We don’t need censorship; it stifles creativity – Rex Omar