Rapper and philanthropist, Kwame Nsiah-Apau, known in showbiz as Okyeame Kwame has received a United States Presidential Volunteer Service Award for his outstanding humanitarian effort.
The award was presented to him on Sunday, March 19 in Ohio by America’s immediate past Ex-President Barack Obama, in recognition for his Hepatitis B campaign in Ghana.
The Presidential Service Award, the highest civilian honour is granted to people for their voluntary community service towards development.
Starting in 2009, the awardee has in partnership with MDS-Lancet Laboratories spearheaded and funded the screening, vaccination, sensitisation of over 7,000 beneficiaries against the deadly Hepatitis B disease in his Ghana.
The award was presented to him by Dr. Pauline Key, on behalf of the former president. The award came with a congratulatory plaque with an inscription,"Outstanding Humanitarian Service in Ghana".
The artiste expressed his appreciation to President Obama for the honour and pledged even greater intensity of his campaign towards ridding Africa of Hepatitis.
Management of the artiste announced earlier this year that plans are far advanced to extend the Hepatitis activations to West African countries in the coming months.
Not long ago, Okyeame Kwame was given the key to the city of Cincinnati for the same reason, as well as an appointment as an iconic figure by the World Hepatitis Alliance.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- The Burial of Kojo wins award at Luxor African Film Festival
- Creative arts can take Ghana to greater heights if... – George Quaye
- Video: Medikal brings the heat as he sells Africa on Tim Westwood
- Gospel singer criticises Stonebwoy for endorsing secular songs in church
- Video: Cast of 1998 hit TV show 'Taxi Driver' cast back the years
- Buju Banton sings of the only law to obey in the world
- I learnt how to drive on 'Taxi Driver' - Psalm Adjeteyfio reveals
- The warrior of love - Unpacking Samini’s 'Untamed' Part 1
- Video: Ashesi University founder goes ‘crazy’, dresses like female
- Video: Kofi Mole quits school to pursue music
- Photo: Rocky Dawuni, Cabum finally smoke peace pipe
- Adopting French as Ghana’s second language ‘disrespectful’ – Okyeame Kwame
- If I don’t win any award at 3Music Awards I will pull a 'Shatta Wale' - Medikal declares
- No other Ghanaian music beats highlife - Kyekyeku
- We were once celebrated in Diaspora because of Highlife – Bessa Simons