The battle and debate about who reign supreme when it comes to the different genres of music in the country have no end in sight.
Hiplife, rap and dancehall have all had their fair share of battles, debates and beefs as to who is the king.
Recently female Dancehall artistes Kaakie and MzVee were embroiled in a beef with each calling claim to the crown for ‘Dancehall Queen’ of Ghana. They went further to release songs taking shots at each other.
Female Dancehall artiste, Shegah, formerly known as Shegeh Styla of the defunct group Triple M, believes no female act in Ghana currently deserves to be called ‘Dancehall Queen’.
Shegah, who says she is the “godmother” when it comes to the genre, in an interview with Lexis Bill on Drive Time on Joy FM said none of the female acts have worked enough to be given the title.
“Since I am the godmother, I am indeed the one who should be able to determine who the ‘Dancehall Queen’ of Ghana is but I will not because I have not seen enough to crown anybody,” she said.
To buttress her point, the dancehall act noted that for someone to be called a queen, they should battle openly.
“All the ladies in dancehall are contributing to the development of the art form. To be a queen is not just the music because somebody may have even written the song.
"If you want to be a queen, let’s give all the ladies microphones and put them on stage so they battle, the ‘Queen’ will then emerge,” Shegah said.
Shegah recently signed a juicy record deal, rumoured to be worth millions with entertainment record label, Magic Records.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- R. Kelly in solitary over mortal fear of other inmates
- Ed Sheeran goes to numbers one, three, four on UK chart
- Ghana praised for supporting Vis-à-vis Festival
- English language did trick for ‘Be Lifted’ penetrating Africa - MOG
- Show evidence of new factories – John Dumelo charges gov’t
- Video: I’d love to settle in Ghana after retirement- Tim Godfrey
- Ark band performs live on Joy FM’s Cosmopolitan Mix
- Creative Arts Council, media pay courtesy call on Ghana Embassy in Spain
- Listen: 'Already' by Beyoncé ft Shatta Wale
- Storm Energy partners Silverbird to premiere Lion King
- FaceApp: Celebs fall in love with AgeChallenge
- Cobby Raymond releases Kojo Antwi inspired song
- MUSIGA has ¢70,000 locked up in Menzgold - Bessa Simons
- Nicki Minaj hints on signing Ghanaian act
- People aren’t celebrating GuiltyBeatz's prod. on Beyoncé's album – Ameyaw Debrah