Highlife legend, Paapa Yankson has died, a family friend has confirmed to Joy News.
The 73-year-old who had been ill for some time died in his sleep at his Dansoman residence in Accra, Friday.
Paapa Yankson, who was wheel-chair bound until his death made an appearance at the 2017 edition of the VGMA, where he gave a touching speech about coming back to the music scene soon.
He picked the Lifetime Achievement Honour at the 18th edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards held earlier this year.
The stenographer turned musician told the story of how he struggled with fellow musician ace Charles Kofi Amankwaah Mann who popularly known as CK Mann before making it big.
He dedicated the award to his "good friend and brother, CK Mann."
Benjamin Paapa Kofi Yankson was born on June 22, 1944, at Winneba and for over 40 years, he’s kept highlife alive with the release of 15 albums that spurned a deluge of hit songs including 'Wiase Mu Nsem,'' Show Your Love,' 'Wo Yere Anaa Wo Maame,' and 'Tena Menkyen' among others.
He was also instrumental in the projection of music bands into critical national acclaim; the Western Diamond Band, The Gold Nuggets Band and the Carousel Seven Band.
He has lectured and performed in many countries around the world including the US, Canada, Belgium, Britain, Germany, Holland, Nigeria, Benin and the Ivory Coast.
Below is a video of one of his appearance at the VGMA
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Ebony was vilified because of her sexuality – Novelist on stereotype
- I wish Trigmatic were my biological son – Aka Blay
- Adele splits from husband Simon Konecki
- Cardi B rejects plea deal over Queens strip club brawl
- Good Friday special: Luigi Maclean, Globe Productions light up Super Morning Show
- Osibisa marks 50 years of musical excellence
- Video: Ghana DJ Awards PubFest keeps Purple Pub jamming till morning
- Yvonne Nelson urges Ghanaians to boycott elections
- Enough of the love songs - Barima Sidney
- Adom FM Music Chart (Week 15): Fameye’s ‘Nothing I get’, Kofi Mole’s ‘Don’t be late’ on the rise
- Harvest Praise 2019 airs live on DStv, GOtv come Good Friday
- Photos: Ghana Jeep Club parties with children of Potter’s Orphanage Village
- Video vixen gives life to Christ, now philanthropist
- New Video: Mista Myles eyes Afrobeats crown with ‘African Girl’
- Assault, killings by uniformed men will make Nigeria collapse - Omotola tells Buhari