In election years, musicians become tools to project a political agenda through songs.
In 2016, secular musician Shatta Wale was on top as two of his songs were used by both the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) to champion their political agendas.
One of the musicians, whose name cannot escape the list, is veteran highlife musician Daddy Lumba. He composed songs for then-candidate Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo in 2008, 2012 and 2016.
Gospel musician, Evangelist Diana Asamoah has been tagged an NPP activist for allowing the NPP to use her songs by former President John Agyekum Kufuor when he was campaigning for the presidency.
There were rumours that she was paid huge sums of money for playing her part in the campaign.
Speaking on Adom FM’s Work and Happiness show with host OPD, Mrs Asamoah rubbished such speculations, explaining that she received no money from the NPP.
According to her, she is not well placed to do politics because she is used to the music craft.
“NPP never paid me for my ‘Ma Bo Wo Din Na Mafr3 Wo’ song. It was a business strategy that only helped them win power. People think I was paid but I never took a penny,” she revealed.
The gospel singer regretted that “people don’t push the word of God like negative stories.”
Mrs Asamoah said she wouldn’t mind doing a song for a political party if only she is directed by God to do it.
“I don’t walk in vain. When God tells me to do a song for a party, I will do it for them.”
Watch the video below for more:
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Waris axing from AFCON squad 'payment' for treating me badly - Ex-wife
- Some big artistes used to kneel down for misbehaving – Hammer
- I don’t feel celebrated enough – Kwaw Kese laments
- Stonebwoy gears up for Shuga Summer Tour
- I won't beef with someone who can't write her own songs – Kelvyn Boy
- Modelling not lucrative in Ghana — Chantelle Dapaah
- Reggie Rockstone leaves VVIP?
- Video: Kofi Adjorlolo dating Victoria Lebene mere media stunt – Abeiku Santana
- Adom FM Music Chart (Week 23): Kwesi Arthur's ‘Nobody’ gunning for number 1?
- Russian poker star electrocuted in bath at home
- Popular illusionist ready to stun patrons at 2019 MMC Live
- From Nollywood to pulpit: Eucharia Anunobi’s untold conversion story
- Sarkodie doesn’t come to bed early – Wife
- Lawyer: Cuba Gooding Jr. will turn self in on groping charge
- I saved Ghanaian rap music from dying – Medikal brags