Jennifer Lopez is being sued by a man who alleges she stole the idea for World of Dance.
Alvin Gray-El has filed a lawsuit against Jennifer, NBC, and choreographer Debbie Allen, as he claims the American reality competition - which began in 2017 and is executive produced by Jennifer, who is also on the judging panel - is based on an idea he came up with 10 years ago.
According to court documents obtained by The Blast, Gray-El alleges he came up with an idea for a show called Let's Start the Dance back in 2009, and claims he faxed a letter to Debbie and her production company in an effort to see if she would be interested in producing the show.
He then claims he never heard back from the choreographer, but went ahead and had the show registered with the US Copyright Office in 2010.
Gray-El discovered World of Dance was in the works at NBC in 2017 shortly before it aired, and alleges he tried to get in contact to notify them of the copyright infringement but says he never heard back.
Jennifer Lopez and husband Alex Rodriguez. Picture: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP
Debbie has no involvement in the NBC show, but Gray-El believes she must have given the information to Jennifer, who then created World of Dance.
He is seeking US$5 million in actual damages and $1.5 million in punitive damages.
World of Dance sees dance performers including solo acts and larger groups, representing any style of dance, competing for a grand prize of $1 million. Their performances are judged by Jennifer alongside Ne-Yo and Derek Hough.
The series was created in partnership with pre-eminent global dance brand, World of Dance, which produces dance competitions and dance lifestyle events in more than 25 countries, spanning the US, Europe, South America, and Asia.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- VGMA@20: Oragnisers fail to announce 'Artiste of the Year' due to Shatta, Stonebwoy fight
- VGMA@20: Sarkodie crowned ‘Artiste of the Decade’
- VGMA@20: “You are my son” – Amakye Dede crowns Kuami Eugene
- “I’m really sorry” - Stonebwoy apolgises for pulling gun at VGMA@20
- Video: VGMA@20: Stonebwoy pulls gun as Bhim Nation, Shatta Wale camps clash
- Photos: Fashion moment on the Red Carpet of VGMA@20
- VGMA@20: Check out winners at 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards
- VGMA@20: Live updates of 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards
- I’m rooting for Kuami Eugene to win ‘Artiste of the Year’ – Okyeame Kwame
- Video: Watch 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards live
- Arnold Schwarzenegger drop-kicked at South Africa event
- It's fraud when artiste don't perform live – Samini
- Staying united secured our success - Daughters of Glorious Jesus
- Kwesi Arthur, Chris Attoh, Dumelo, others headline week's entertainment news
- Give underground artistes slots on big shows – Rapper Ikroniq pleads