The National Elections Committee of the Musicians Union of Ghana (MUSIGA), has announced the rescheduling of the election of national executives for the union from Wednesday, June 26 to July 10.
This decision was taken on June 24, at the meeting of the five-member committee appointed by the union’s National Executive Committee to supervise the pending elections.
According to the chairman of the committee, Smart Nkansah, the decision is based on the feedback the committee has received from the initial release of the voters register for the elections.
He indicated that the Electoral Commission of Ghana (EC) which would supervise the elections, are currently engaged with the limited registration of voters for the national elections for 2020.
Mr Nkansah has assured the members of the Union of due diligence on the part of the committee, to ensure the elections are free and fair, devoid of any electoral malpractices.
This year’s MUSIGA elections will be the first time the union is exercising the universal suffrage for all card-bearing members to exercise their franchise.
The presidency, 1st and 2nd vice presidents and the general secretary positions have two candidates each, vying for the slots. Three other positions – treasurer, organiser and welfare officer – are contested unopposed.
For the presidency, two legendary musicians, Bessa Simons, who had served as the National Vice President for the past eight years, is opposing Ras Caleb Appiah-Levi, who is the current President of the Greater Accra Region.
Gospel artiste, Rev. Dr Harry Thomas Yawson and CEO of Lynx Entertainment, Richard Karikari Mensah, will contend for the 1st Vice President position.
Also for the 2nd Vice President slot, gospel artistes, Deborah Freeman and Ruth Benny Wood, known in showbiz circles as Abena Ruthy, are standing against each other.
Sylvia Bosompem Amponsah and Samuel Kofi Agyemang are competing in the General Secretary race.
Gifty Ghansah is vying for the National Welfare Officer, with Rev. Edward Edusa-Eyison eyeing National Treasurer position.
Lastly, Chizzy Nii Adu Wailer is standing for the position of National Organiser.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Ghanaian delegation in Spain for Vis-a-Vis Festival
- Video: Strika's handler hands over ¢40,000 to actor
- Shatta Wale to tour with Beyoncé
- We didn’t pitch any material to get selected – Bulldog opens up about Beyoncé-Shatta collab
- Milk this opportunity, it's not about ‘pah pah’ anymore – Shatta Wale told
- Shatta Wale trends #1 in Ghana, 8 worldwide after Beyonce feature news
- Celebs, fans react to news on Shatta Wale, GuiltyBeatz’s feature with Beyonce
- GuiltyBeatz produces 3 songs on Beyonce's 'The Lion King: The Gift' album
- Stonebwoy, Samini congratulate Shatta Wale on Beyonce feature
- 'I know my level!' - Beyoncé features Shatta Wale on new album
- Real Time channel Debuts on DStv, GOtv
- Support the arts industry – Kwesi Agyare to gov't
- Kagame – The tallest president in Africa is the shortest in his family
- Prince David Osei wins Best Actor award at African International Film Festival
- Bond: Black female actor, Lashana Lynch is next ‘007 agent