The biggest names in Ghanaian and African music have gathered at the new dome of the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC) for the 20th edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
The night will see several artistes and producers receive honours for the work over the past year.
Two of the keenly contested categories this year are ‘Artiste of the Year’ and the ‘Artiste of the Decade’.King Promise, Kuami Eugene, Joe Mettle, Sarkodie, Shatta Wale, and Stonebwoy are vying for the ‘Artiste of the Year’ while R2Bees, Sarkodie, Joe Mettle, No Tribe & Nacee, Shatta Wale, Okyeame Kwame, Stonebwoy, Samini, Efya, and Becca will battle for the ‘Artiste of the Decade’.
Follow the event live below:
The 20th edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards opens with a performance of the new theme song of the awards – ‘Our Music Lives’. The song was performed by Amandzeba, Adina, Akwaboah Jnr, Gifty Osei and Teephlow.
Award-winning DJ, DJ Black warms the venue with some throwback songs and ushers in one of the hosts for the night, Kwame Sefa Kayi.
A documentary on the history of the awards was played after which he introduces Berla Mundi as the co-host of the awards.
- Auditing firm KPMG of international repute presents the results of the various categories to the hosts.
- Nana Ansah Kwao IV presents the award for ‘Traditional Artiste of the Year’ to Kwan pa.
- He also presented the ‘Instrumentalist of the Year’ award to Mizter Okyere.
- Foreign Affairs Minister Shirley Ayorkor Botchway presents the ‘Lifetime Achievement’ awards to Dr Rev Mrs Mary Ghansah, Obuoba J.A. Adofo and Prof Kofi Abraham.
- Kula, ‘Unsung Artiste of the Year’, mounts the stage to perform. Kula receives his ‘Unsung Artiste of the Year’ award after his performance.
- ‘Artiste of the Decade’ nominee, Efya mounts the stage and took the auditorium to church! Dressed in beautiful white apparel, the singer delivers a power gospel song.
- ‘Soca Queen’ from Barbados, Alison Hinds takes the stage to perform some of her hit songs including ‘Roll It Gal’.
- Nacee and Claudia Lumor, CEO of Glitz Africa, present ‘Gospel Song of the Year’ award to Diana Hamilton for ‘Mo Ne Yo’.
- John Dumelo presents the award for ‘Highlife Song of the Year’ to Shatta Wale for ‘My Level’.
- Lydia Forson presents the award for ‘Reggae/Dancehall Song of the Year’ to Shatta Wale for ‘Gringo’.
- ‘Highlife Artiste of the Year’ nominee, Kidi mounts the stage to dish out some of his smash hits including ‘Thunder’. He is later joined by Kwesi Arthur to perform ‘Don’t Keep Me Waiting’.
- After taking patrons to church with ‘Woara’, Kwesi Arthur removed his T-shirt to perform Mensah with Kofi Mole. Quamina MP joined Kwesi Arthur to perform ‘Wiase Y3 D3’
- James Gardiner presents the award for ‘Hiphop Song of the Year’ to Kwesi Arthur for ‘Anthem’.
- Kiki Banson presents the award for ‘Hiplife Song of the Year’ to Yaa Pono – 'Obiaa Wone Master' feat Stonebwoy.
- ‘Afropop Song of the Year’ went to Guilty Beatz for 'Akwaaba' feat Mr Eazi, Pappy Kojo and Patapaa.
‘Artiste of the Decade’ nominee Sarkodie mounts the stage and in a typical King Sark fashion, he starts spitting bars. He then performed ‘Biibi Ba’ featuring Lyrical Joe, Tulenkey, Frequency, Kofi Mole, Toy Boi, Yeyo, Amerado, 2 Fyngers, OBKAY and CJ Biggerman.
- King Promise later joined Sarkodie to perform their smash hit song, ‘Can’t Let You Go’. King Promise, backed by an orchestra, took over to perform ‘CCTV’.
- Diana Hamilton picked up the ‘Gospel Artiste of the Year’ award.
- Diana Hopeson presents the award for ‘Highlife Artiste of the Year’ to Kuami Eugene.
- CEO of MultiChoice Ghana, Cecil Sunkwa-Mills presents the award for ‘Hiplife/Hiphop Artiste of the Year’ to Medikal.
- Actor Adjetey Anang performed ‘Don't Cry For Me’ by Deborah Garcia Gaitan in honour of “all the fallen heroes in the music industry.”
- Barima Sidney took his turn on stage to perform some of his classic hit songs. With a brief appearance by veteran actress Adwoa Smart, Barima Sidney thrilled patrons with songs like ‘Apuskeleke’, ‘Scent No’, ‘Obia Nye Obia’ and ‘Africa Money’.
- Abeiku Santana presents the award for ‘Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the Year’ to Stonebwoy.
- There was fracas as Shatta Wale fans, SM members went on stage as Stonebwoy took his award. Stonebwoy was seen taking a gun out of pouch live on stage. The Police had to throw teargas to disperse feuding parties. This brought about 20 minutes hold-up of the beautiful celebration of Ghana music.
- The show is finally underway again as Samini who needs no introduction and perfect fire service to douse such embarrassing happening, serenades patrons with some of his hit songs. There was ‘Gayi shi’, ‘Linda’, ‘Where my baby dey?’ You cannot take anything from this fantastic performer but it looks like the fracas has taken something out of the event. The patrons look shaken.
- Ghana music producer extraordinaire Zapp Mallet presents ‘Music Video of the Year’ for ‘Come and See My Moda’ by MzVee and Yemi Alade
- Loving Cee presents ‘Collaboration of the Year’ award to Stonebwoy for ‘Kpoo Keke’ featuring Medikal, Kwesi Arthur, Darko Vibes & Kelvyn Boy. He apologised for the fracas that happened earlier. He said there were social media threats and it was only natural to also come prepared.
- Claudia Lumor and Obour present ‘Record of the Year’ to remarkable songwriter and musician Akwaboah ‘Hye Me Bo’.
- Crooner King Promise wins ‘Songwriter of the Year’ award with fans favourite ‘CCTV’.
- Joy FM’s ace sports presenter, Nathaniel Attoh presents ‘Producer of the Year’ to Kuami Eugene.
- ‘Sound Engineer of the Year’ award goes to Francis Osei for Akwaboah’s ‘Hye Me Bo’.
- One of the best out of Nigeria, Burna Boy takes the stage to thrill patrons.
- Burna Boy wins ‘African Artiste of the Year’ award. Manager of the singer charges Ghanaian music stars to use their talent to conquer the world.
- ‘Rapper of the Year’ goes to Medikal. He thanks Criss Waddle for giving him the chance to shine.
- ‘Akwaaba’ by Guilty Beatz ft Mr Eazi, Pappy Kojo and Patapaa wins ‘Best African collaboration’
- Bethel Revival Choir wins the ‘Best Group of the Year’
- Kuami Eugene takes the stage to thrill those in the auditorium. The Angela singer did a rendition of Meiway’s ‘Zoblazo’ but it is not clear which % he is doing. He did a performance together with Ghanaian music great Amakye Dede. Isn’t it always refreshing to appreciate the talent of Amakye Dede whose music never ages? The ‘Seriousssss man’ never performs to a dull audience as the auditorium is back to life with many on their feet dancing. No one serious music fan wastes an Amakye Dede moment especially when he is right there performing. Class is indeed permanent and it always oozes out of Amakye Dede’s performance.
- Give Kuami Eugene the support he needs as he is a great talent to promote highlife were the words of Amakye Dede who blessed the rising star. Crowning the ‘Rockstar’ king, Amakye Dede said it was great to know someone will carry the highlife mantle after they are gone.
- Kidi presents ‘New Artiste of the Year’ to Wendy Shay.
- Kuami Eugene’s ‘Rockstar’ album annexes the ‘Album of the Year’ award.
- AMG star Medikal takes his turn to entertain the audience with some of his smash hits ‘Ayekoo’ which features King Promise leading the songs getting the patrons dancing the night away. 2019 has been a great year for Medikal as most of his songs were hits.
- Host Kwame Sefa Kayi says two awards including ‘Artiste of the Year’ will not be announced due to the fracas that ensued. According to him, it will be given out at a press conference which they will organise to discuss confusion at the event.
- Sarkodie wins ‘Artiste of the Decade’ an award to celebrate an artiste who has paid his dues over the last 10 years entertaining Ghanaians.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Some big artistes used to kneel down for misbehaving – Hammer
- I don’t feel celebrated enough – Kwaw Kese laments
- Stonebwoy gears up for Shuga Summer Tour
- I won't beef with someone who can't write her own songs – Kelvyn Boy
- Modelling not lucrative in Ghana — Chantelle Dapaah
- Reggie Rockstone leaves VVIP?
- Video: Kofi Adjorlolo dating Victoria Lebene mere media stunt – Abeiku Santana
- Adom FM Music Chart (Week 23): Kwesi Arthur's ‘Nobody’ gunning for number 1?
- Russian poker star electrocuted in bath at home
- Popular illusionist ready to stun patrons at 2019 MMC Live
- From Nollywood to pulpit: Eucharia Anunobi’s untold conversion story
- Sarkodie doesn’t come to bed early – Wife
- Lawyer: Cuba Gooding Jr. will turn self in on groping charge
- I saved Ghanaian rap music from dying – Medikal brags
- Video: Patapaa chills with European girlfriend at the beach