Rapper Sarkodie has been crowned the ‘Artiste of the Decade’ at the 20th edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
In a hotly contested 2019 edition of the Awards, the rapper beat competition from colleagues, who have equally worked over the past decade, to win the award.
The ‘Artiste of the Decade’, the second time it is being awarded since the inception of the awards scheme in the year 2000, was one of the keenly contested categories this year.
R2Bees, Joe Mettle, No Tribe & Nacee, Shatta Wale, Okyeame Kwame, Stonebwoy, Samini, Efya, and Becca were all eyeing that award.
After weeks of intense debate, Sarkodie, who is the most decorated artiste at the Ghana Music Awards - winning the ‘Artiste of the Year’ twice - walked home with the bragging rights.
He joins veteran musician Kojo Antwi, who won the first Artiste of the Decade award – as the second recipient of the award.
Sarkodie himself was not at the venue to receive the award. His manager, popularly known as Angel, received the award on his behalf.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- My mom and I were abandoned by my father – Nsromma star
- It will be difficult going back to school – Kuami Eugene
- I’m a shopaholic, I need prayers – Jackie Appiah
- Abraham Attah to star in Birdman’s film
- Lena Headey didn’t like Cersei’s ‘Game of Thrones’ death scene
- Girlfriends, side-chicks of Black Stars players should be allowed into their camp – Mzbel
- Duchess Meghan nominated for World Fashion Award
- Video: Do politics if you want Ghana to move forward – A Plus
- Pushing foreign genres will not sell Ghana - Mikki Osei Berko to artistes
- “You can’t be serious” - Kwesi Arthur's dad reacts to his plan to marry at 35
- Comedy play 'Adam in Court' stages on June 22
- Cardi B forced to perform in bathrobe after wardrobe malfunction
- 2019 MTV Movie, TV Awards: The only 10 moments people will be talking about
- I received death threats over Konkonsa show on Radio Gold - Mikki Osei Berko
- Father's Day: Celebs gush over their daddies