of Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister, Barbara Oteng-Gyasi, has revealed that her ministry will engage dancehall artistes Livingstone Etse Satekla, known in showbiz as Stonebwoy; and his archrival Charles Nii Armah Mensah Jr., also known as Shatta Wale, to end the feud between them to prevent a deadly escalation.
“We are going to engage them together with MUSIGA to ensure that we resolve whatever underlying issue that is there so that we don’t have an escalation going forward into the future,” Oteng-Gyasi said on Class FM.
Her comments were in reaction to the gun-related incident that took place at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMAs) held on Saturday, May 18.
The 20th edition of the VGMAs nearly turned bloody when camps of Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale engaged in near-fisticuffs over an award.
The confusion happened when Stonebwoy was announced as the Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the Year.
Shatta Wale and his fans approached the podium to ostensibly congratulate Stonebwoy but events turned chaotic resulting in a lot of pushing and shoving – a situation that prompted Stonebwoy to pull out his pistol.
The security officers at the event pepper-sprayed the stage in an attempt to prevent a full-blown fight.
“On the part of the ministry and the organisers, on hindsight, we should have engaged the two artistes prior to the event having witnessed what was going on in social media”, the minister said.
She subsequently called on the fans of the two musicians to stop the social media war as that fuels the rivalry between the two artistes.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- D-Black drops much anticipated ‘Smoke & Mirrors’ EP
- Video: My mom and I were abandoned by my father – Nsromma star
- It will be difficult going back to school – Kuami Eugene
- I’m a shopaholic, I need prayers – Jackie Appiah
- Abraham Attah to star in Birdman’s film
- Lena Headey didn’t like Cersei’s ‘Game of Thrones’ death scene
- Girlfriends, side-chicks of Black Stars players should be allowed into their camp – Mzbel
- Duchess Meghan nominated for World Fashion Award
- Video: Do politics if you want Ghana to move forward – A Plus
- Pushing foreign genres will not sell Ghana - Mikki Osei Berko to artistes
- “You can’t be serious” - Kwesi Arthur's dad reacts to his plan to marry at 35
- Comedy play 'Adam in Court' stages on June 22
- Cardi B forced to perform in bathrobe after wardrobe malfunction
- 2019 MTV Movie, TV Awards: The only 10 moments people will be talking about
- I received death threats over Konkonsa show on Radio Gold - Mikki Osei Berko