Celebrity blogger, Ameyaw Debrah has tipped Stonebwoy as possibly the “biggest loser” following Saturday’s brawl with arch-rival Shatta Wale at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
He said Stonebwoy; born Livingstone Etse Satekla “has more going for him” in terms of international recognition and the violence could damage the relationship with his associates.
“Most of these international people, these things tend to affect their affiliation with you,” Mr Debrah told Kojo Yankson on the AM Show on the Joy News channel Monday.
He added that the reggae/dancehall artiste’s team must manage the effects of the scuffle to save his image.
Clash at VGMA
Stonebwoy pulled a gun on stage in the midst of a scuffle when he went to pick up his award for Dancehall artiste of the year – a fifth time consecutive.
Shatta Wale known in private life as Charles Nii Armah Mensah and his entourage moved onto the stage when the ‘Mane me’ hit singer was about to give his acceptance speech causing misunderstanding between the two rival camps.
After the dust settled, Stonebwoy apologised for the disturbances when he went back on stage to pick his second honour for the night.
The clash caused some iconic figures at the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC) to vacate and go home.
Speaking on the extent of rivalry between the two dancehall acts, Ameyaw Debrah noted that the genre of their music cannot be linked to the violent nature of the fan bases.
He said if there was the same bipolarity in a different genre, the story would have been the same.
Kofi Xerda, another blogger who was on the AM Show, however, disagreed. He believes the violent nature of the rivalry is as a result of blind copying.
He said dancehall is perceived to be associated with violence in Jamaica where it originates from, causing the ‘importers’ to copy same; albeit blindly.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son
- Partnering musicians as a producer is key – Jayso
- First edition of Miss United Continents, Ghana launched
- David Bolton releases visuals for ‘Odo Fofro’ featuring Samini
- Nominees for 2019 Hospitality Awards unveiled
- Musiga elections postponed to July 10
- Absolute Worship comes off July 7
- We need to stop the beef - Strongman Burner
- Media made slay queens popular - Ama K. Abebrese
- ‘Ups and Downs’ not a diss song - Strongman
- BET Awards: Stars pay tribute to Nipsey Hussle
- Rap battle: Medikal vs Strongman, who won?
- 2019 EMY Africa Awards: Full list of Winners
- Class, style, persona; Nat Attoh hosts 3rd EMY Africa Award
- DJ Switch to support Cape Coast school with educational materials