It is rare to see artistes taking on national issues that have nothing to do with the creative arts industry but once in a while these musicians surprise Ghanaians.
Takoradi-based rapper, Kofi Kinaata, has joined in the number of musicians who are ready to use their power to influence the society when it comes to implementations of policies.
Kofi Kinaata on May 20, released his new song ‘illegal fishing’ to help increase awareness of the closed fishing season.
The Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development in collaboration with the Fisheries Commission, announced the closure of the season for artisanal fishing from Wednesday, May 15 to Saturday, June 15, 2019.
The decision is aimed at reducing the over-exploitation of fish stocks in Ghana’s waters. It also forms part of measures to regenerate Ghana’s fast-depleting fish stocks.
However, some fisherfolks have complained that dynamite fishing, transhipment, light fishing and other illegal fishing methods, are still in force even after the announcement.
According to them, if these illegal fishing methods are still in place, this year’s closed season will be meaningless.
This project between Kofi Kinaata and Ministry of Fisheries, is to help discourage illegal fishing and fishing methods while promoting the need to obey the government’s order till the appointed time.
In the video shot at a coastal area, Kofi Kinaata advises against using chemicals in fishing. He calls on people to protect the water bodies to help secure the water for the future generation.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- D-Black drops much anticipated ‘Smoke & Mirrors’ EP
- Video: My mom and I were abandoned by my father – Nsromma star
- It will be difficult going back to school – Kuami Eugene
- I’m a shopaholic, I need prayers – Jackie Appiah
- Abraham Attah to star in Birdman’s film
- Lena Headey didn’t like Cersei’s ‘Game of Thrones’ death scene
- Girlfriends, side-chicks of Black Stars players should be allowed into their camp – Mzbel
- Duchess Meghan nominated for World Fashion Award
- Video: Do politics if you want Ghana to move forward – A Plus
- Pushing foreign genres will not sell Ghana - Mikki Osei Berko to artistes
- “You can’t be serious” - Kwesi Arthur's dad reacts to his plan to marry at 35
- Comedy play 'Adam in Court' stages on June 22
- Cardi B forced to perform in bathrobe after wardrobe malfunction
- 2019 MTV Movie, TV Awards: The only 10 moments people will be talking about
- I received death threats over Konkonsa show on Radio Gold - Mikki Osei Berko