Government has banned the importation of 49 medicines, assigning their manufacture to local pharmaceutical companies.
The move by the government is seen a major boost to the local industry and is in compliance with the Africa Union’s Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Plan for Africa which aspires to strengthen Africa’s ability to produce high quality and affordable pharmaceuticals.
The plan was approved by the Heads of State and Governments at the AU Summit in Accra recently.
The list of 49 medicines set to be produced locally includes aluminum hydroxide or magnesium trisilicate suspension, amoxicillin capsules and suspension, aspirin or caffeine tablet, folic acid and tablet, cetizine tablet, co-trimoxazole tablet, diclofenac tablet and oral rehydration salt (ORS) among others.
This means that the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) would not accept new applications for the registration for the registration of a medicine on the restricted list.
The Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association of Ghana (PMAG), says the move by the government is a step in the right direction for the local industry.
Chief of Executive Officer of the Chamber of Pharmacy Ghana, Anthony Ameka, welcomed the ban saying it was “desperately needed by local manufacturers”.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Ghana’s mental health guidelines need execution – Human rights group
- Fashion Friday: This new 'The Secret Garden' collection by MOD is world class
- Poor leadership hindering progress in quality healthcare outcomes - Dr Nsiah-Asare
- How many dates should you wait to have sex?
- Chirano Gold Mines fights cataracts, other eye defects with free eye-screening to residents
- Ghana’s TB case finding campaign gets logistical support
- Dr Kisseadoo writes: ‘What is true commitment?’
- Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel fashion designer, dead at 85
- Dr. Samuel Kisseadoo writes: What is true commitment?
- PHOTOS: Gov't secures 275 ambulances
- 5 relationship milestones that say it’s going well
- How Dr Ewura Adjoa is making impact in Ghana
- Married to a monster: How marital rape is killing marriages
- The 10 things you should know about your vagina
- 10 expenses to cut down on to for a low-budget wedding