The Medical Director of the Ridge Hospital says he will not vacate his position hours after he was dismissed by the Health Minister, Kwaku Agyemang Manu on Wednesday.
Dr Thomas Awuni Anaba told Joy News’ Hannah Odame Thursday, the Minister has no right to dismiss him.
“The only person who can terminate my appointment is Ghana Health Council...I still have three years,” he said.
The Health Minister is reported to have dismissed the Medical Director of the Ridge Hospital days to the official opening of the hospital renamed the Greater Accra Regional Hospital.
Health Minister, Kwaku Agyemang Manu
The alleged dismissal was later changed to a transfer and by that Dr Awuni Anaba was asked to head back to the University of Development Studies (UDS) Medical School from where he was appointed by the previous NDC government.
But Dr Awuni Anaba said he will not obey “an illegal, flawed administrative” error from the Health Minister.
He insisted his removal was “illegal” and has asked his lawyers to write to the Minister to take back his dismissal letter and apologise to him.
He said the Minister’s letter did not look authentic because it had no reference letter. He also said the language used was awkward with no acknowledgement of his service to the country.
Dr Awuni Anaba said since Mr Agyemang Manu’s appointment, he has not had his peace of mind. “There is been one sabotage [after the other].”
He told Joy News he will move out of the office if he is assured that a provision has been made for a fully furnished accommodation, two security officers, his children sent back to school in Tamale, and his wife sent to Tamale.
Without meeting these conditions, Dr Awuni Anaba said he will not vacate his position.
“We have to put the record straight that this thing should stop in Ghana...it should not happen in Ghana,” he said.
But the Spokesperson for the Health Ministry, Robert Cudjoe has appealed to Dr Awuni Anaba to obey the dictates of the letter from the Ministry.
The Spokesperson told Evans Mensah on Joy FM’s Top Story Thursday, the Medical Director was transferred back to UDS because his services are need there.
Mr Cudjoe dismissed the claim that the Minister has ill-motives against Dr Awuni Anaba .
“Kwaku Agyemang Manu has nothing against my brother... I see this whole thing as a normal public service administrative procedure that we all go through,” he said.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- How to know if you're in a rebound relationship
- LOAD Ghana calls for stringent measures to regulate sale of alcohol
- Brain function of night owls and larks differ, study suggests
- Sex and love making
- Couples treat at Luv FM's unforgettable Valentine Night of love
- Gabby Otchere Darko, McDan CEO pay for sick boy's surgery
- Millions of women had sex they didn’t want on Valentine’s Day
- 5 of the best exercises you can ever do
- Cardiothoracic Center receives GHS75,000 support from Awake Water
- Fashion Friday: Kokudé – Ghana's new exquisite fashion design powerhouse
- Hotline documentary: Robbing The Sick - Case of Tamale Teaching Hospital
- Mosquitoes, bugs invade Tema Community 11
- The best Valentine's Day movies for single people
- Don’t dismiss your ex after a breakup – you could be missing out on a great friendship
- Joy News uncovers ¢200K rot at Tamale Teaching Hospital