The Medical Director of the Ridge Hospital says he will not vacate his position hours after he was dismissed by the Health Minister, Kwaku Agyemang Manu on Wednesday.
Dr Thomas Awuni Anaba told Joy News’ Hannah Odame Thursday, the Minister has no right to dismiss him.
“The only person who can terminate my appointment is Ghana Health Council...I still have three years,” he said.
The Health Minister is reported to have dismissed the Medical Director of the Ridge Hospital days to the official opening of the hospital renamed the Greater Accra Regional Hospital.
Health Minister, Kwaku Agyemang Manu
The alleged dismissal was later changed to a transfer and by that Dr Awuni Anaba was asked to head back to the University of Development Studies (UDS) Medical School from where he was appointed by the previous NDC government.
But Dr Awuni Anaba said he will not obey “an illegal, flawed administrative” error from the Health Minister.
He insisted his removal was “illegal” and has asked his lawyers to write to the Minister to take back his dismissal letter and apologise to him.
He said the Minister’s letter did not look authentic because it had no reference letter. He also said the language used was awkward with no acknowledgement of his service to the country.
Dr Awuni Anaba said since Mr Agyemang Manu’s appointment, he has not had his peace of mind. “There is been one sabotage [after the other].”
He told Joy News he will move out of the office if he is assured that a provision has been made for a fully furnished accommodation, two security officers, his children sent back to school in Tamale, and his wife sent to Tamale.
Without meeting these conditions, Dr Awuni Anaba said he will not vacate his position.
“We have to put the record straight that this thing should stop in Ghana...it should not happen in Ghana,” he said.
But the Spokesperson for the Health Ministry, Robert Cudjoe has appealed to Dr Awuni Anaba to obey the dictates of the letter from the Ministry.
The Spokesperson told Evans Mensah on Joy FM’s Top Story Thursday, the Medical Director was transferred back to UDS because his services are need there.
Mr Cudjoe dismissed the claim that the Minister has ill-motives against Dr Awuni Anaba .
“Kwaku Agyemang Manu has nothing against my brother... I see this whole thing as a normal public service administrative procedure that we all go through,” he said.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Tech-savvy New Life Homeopathic Clinic wins prestigious award
- Why do we sleep talk? Here's everything you should know
- DR Congo: WHO declares Ebola outbreak global health emergency
- Lifestyle with Sakwaba: Love corner: Is what you’re feeling love or infatuation?
- How many bananas are enough?
- UG School of Nursing and Midwifery gets first substantive Dean
- Conjoined twin girls separated after 50 hours of surgery
- Mona by Nehita: Luxury jewellery line, launches in Ghana
- Abandoned hospital projects at Fomena, Kumawu to be completed this year - Minister
- Is it possible to stay sexually attracted to your spouse for life?
- Africa's largest solar powered project for a hospital commissioned at FOCOS Hospital
- Lady Adelaide Heward-Mills believes in privacy after marriage
- Esther Cobbah’s nuggets on how to deal with the unexpected in marriage
- Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Bespoke Ruby’s Bridal gowns at affordable prices
- 2019 Beauty and Bridal Fair:The most affordable price for your rings at The Nazarene