Dieticians have warned individuals to desist from depending on a ketogenic diet as a means of losing weight.
According to Nana Kofi Owusu, a dietician and a lecturer at the University of Health and Allied Sciences, this popular high-fat, low-carb diet can have devastating long-term health effects.
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine, is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children.
The diet is a tool for weight loss because of the dramatic decrease in carb intake, forcing the body to burn fat instead of carbs for energy.
“Ketogenic diet when done for the long term comes with calcium challenges like osteoporosis, a medical condition in which the bones become brittle and fragile,” he stated.
Mr. Owusu added depending excessively on proteins can cause dehydration and create problems with kidney stones.
“When I started the Keto diet, I was told it cannot be done forever because the carbs are also important,” one lady told Joy News’ Efua Evans-Chinery.
She explained a person on a Keto diet can do a little bit of carbohydrate when they hit their ideal weight.
Another lady said, “I am doing low carbs now after a strict keto diet for six months.”
She advised people to know and study themselves and their body before they start a Ketogenic diet.
Mr. Owusu said people on the diet can also in the short term, suffer from dizzy spells, terrible headaches and fainting.
He added, “you lose the weight when on the diet but in the long term you can experience a cardiovascular event because of the increased low-density lipoproteins (LDL) particles in your body.”
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- The suicide survivor who was arrested at work
- Take charge of your heart – Cardiologist
- UNFPA, GHS launch ‘Time with Grandma’ to tackle teenage pregnancy
- How to choose love over lust in everyday life
- Joy as Zipline drone delivers medication to 11-year-old sickle cell patient
- First Lady interacts with women groups on F2S HIV campaign
- Three errors today’s fathers must not repeat
- Men and women share the 'simple rules' for a better relationship
- African countries 'pay 30 times more' for drugs
- Gloria Vanderbilt: US fashion icon and heiress dies aged 95
- What does a healthy relationship with an ex look like?
- Multi-million dollar new UW hospital 99% complete but…
- 7 Global research institutions launch clinical test into new malaria treatment
- World Bank urges Ghana to deal with stunting in children
- 5 reasons i'm thankful for being in a long-distance relationship