The key to a successful relationship
If you thought it is just money, sex, loyalty, honesty or something else that is the key to a happy and healthy relationship, then you might be wrong. According to a study done by the researchers at the University of Michigan, it is humility that helps a relationship go the distance.
What researchers opine
The researchers suggested that a humble partner is always aware of his strength and skills and also, accepts the mistakes and does not look down on his partner's imperfections.
Humility and forgiveness
The researchers wanted to analyse the link between humility and forgiveness and studied 284 couples for the same. However, the tricky situation was that a humble person might not brag about this trait and an arrogant person might feign modesty.
To tackle this problem, researchers asked each partner how humble they were, how humble their partner is and would they forgive a partner if he did something to hurt them. The idea was that a humble person might downplay his trait but at least the partner would acknowledge their modest nature.
Interestingly, people who admitted their partner was humble were more likely to forgive them in a hurtful situation. On the other hand, people who confessed their partner was arrogant were less likely to forgive them.
Another research done on this subject indicated that people rate ‘humility’ quite highly as an important trait in their lover. Also, this study concluded that humble people were more likely to initiate a romantic relationship because they find it difficult to accept themselves as ‘too good’ for someone.
Looking for your ideal partner?
Most of us have a mental checklist of the traits of an ideal partner and in case you haven't yet made one, it is wise to add ‘humble’ to this list. We all make innocent mistakes in a relationship and having a partner who does not scrutinise every little thing and forgive easily is surely for keeps.
(All images used here are representational)
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- NDC MP wants law to regulate emerging fertility industry
- How to actually teach your kid the value of money
- UN agency imports contraceptives worth $1.9m to Ghana in 2018
- Accra Mall opens applications for maiden Future Fashion Fund
- Ghanaian children depend on only one pediatric cardiologist
- Gov’t launches action plan to tackle pollution
- 7 common fights couples have during the first year of marriage
- The healthy vegetable that can poison your liver
- Lifestyle with Sakwaba: Yes, rice water can do magic to your hair
- Describing women as complex has mental health implications- Psychologist
- Ridge hospital makes impact on the psychological well-being of Ghanaians
- 10 ways to plan a low budget wedding
- Nurse, midwife suspended for unprofessional conduct
- The suicide survivor who was arrested at work
- Take charge of your heart – Head of Cardiology, KATH