Radio personality and entertainment icon Kwasi Kyei Darkwah has been remanded in prison custody over a charge of rape brought against him by the police.
He was remanded by the Kaneshie District Magistrates' Court on Tuesday December 30 to reappear on January 8, 2015.
KKD, as he is popularly called, is alleged to have raped a 19-year-old lady in the washroom of a hotel in Accra. Click to read the fact sheet
The Ghanaian celebrity was arrested by the police on Saturday, December 27, for the allegedly raping the 19-year-old.
He was detained by the airport police over the allegation but his lawyer, Nana Asante Bediatuo who visited him expressed confidence he would be granted bail.
The showbiz personality later admitted he had sex with the lady but denied it was without her consent.
KDD said he actually had a drink with the lady after act but was picked up shortly after two gentlemen he suspects have a relationship with the lady lodged a complaint against him and alleging he raped the lady.
Sunday, the police made things murkier by publicly announcing that KKD was being investigated for sexual assault, an unknown offence in Ghana's criminal justice system.
KKD was expected to be taken to court on Monday, but the police failed to do so.
The entertainment icon appeared in court Tuesday with his lawyers hopeful that he would be granted bail.
The Magistrates' Court had other ideas; it remanded the iconic entertainer, compounding his magnificent fall in a matter of days.
Nana Asante Bediatuo expressed disappointment at the court's decision.
He told Joy News' Daryl Kwaw the prosecution did make it out its case.
He said the facts presented to the court do not support the charge of rape against his client.
Listen to lawyers Asante Bediatuo and Samson Lardy Anyenini take on the court's decision
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Rumors I'm planning an attack untrue – Regent of Dagbon
- Bullet lodged in police officer's eye in armed robbery attack
- Manso-Nkwanta: 7 killed by police not armed robbers - Gov't
- The shipwreck that created a culture
- 'Human Spider' banned from climbing any UK building
- Today's front pages
- You can now travel across Morocco on Africa’s First High-speed train
- 3 arrested over Asiwa police chief attack
- Pantang Hospital JHS pupil wins Aspire to Bee spelling competition
- 'Dead' man turns up two months after burial
- Asiwa police chief shot, in critical condition
- Video: Building under construction caves in; one feared trapped in rubble
- Debate about National Cathedral makes me 'extremely nervous' – Ofori-Atta
- UCC Medical School beats UG, KNUST to win inter-medical school competition
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?