The Managing Director of the Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL) has resigned.
Godwin Kweku Dovlo tendered his resignation to the Ministry of Water Resources Works and Housing Thursday, Public Relations Officer of the Ministry, Abraham Otabil confirmed to Joy News' Dzifa Bampoh.
He would not say the reasons for his resignation, except to indicate that the Minister has accepted the resignation in good faith.
He said the MD had a two year accumulated leave, which he requested to take, after which he did not wish to return in his capacity as the Managing Director.
He said it is not the practice of the Company's MD to resign on request of taking an accumulated leave but added that as a "Managing Director of a company, he thinks that he has worked enough for Ghana Water and he thinks it is time to take a bow. I think that we should respect his decision and the sector minister has done just that."
He reported the resigned MD as saying that he wished to go into any other venture outside the role and responsibility of the GWCL.
Mr Dovlo has been a subject of a board of inquiry, following claims by the company’s production staff at Weija that the water supplied to residents of Accra is unwholesome.
Abraham Otabil unequivocally stated that the resignation had nothing to do with the allegation of unwholesome water made by the workers at Weija.
He insisted that the water is wholesome.
"It has come out clearly that it is untrue. It is unfounded. The water from Weija has been in existence since Guggisberg time. It is wholesome.
"...For workers of Weija to claim the water is not wholesome, we do not think they were right in their decision," he stated.
Abraham Otabil said the deputy MD, Fred Lokko, has been asked to act until a substantive MD is appointed.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Police pick up 33 suspects in Kumasi market fires
- Akim Oda: CAC gets 300 banquet chairs from businessman
- Family of military couple that died in flood wants gov’t support for 12-year-old son
- Surviving disaster: Victim of Achimota building collapse becomes top producer
- Road crew gets failing grade after misspelling ‘school’ on school crossing
- Subin MP says Asafo Market fire is 'quite strange,' plans to partner with NADMO
- Otumfuo@20: Let peace reign upon our nation - Asantehene appeals to politicians
- Christ, your risen Lord is your lawyer, how can you fail? - Aps. Mike Etrue
- Asafo Market on fire again
- The death of Christ is not a myth but a fact – Mensa Otabil
- Ghanaians hail National Chief Imam for joining Easter Service
- Decomposing body of former High Court judge retrieved from residence
- Otumfuo@20: Ya-Na Mahama's arrival blocks Manhyia traffic
- Photos: Thrilling Joy FM Easter Soup Kitchen rounds to a close with thousands in attendance
- Ghanaian scholar appointed 15th President of Millersville University