BBC and former host of Joy FM's Super Morning Show Komla Dumor has died.
The presenter of the Focus on Africa programme on BBC died, Saturday morning in London after a short illness Myjoyonline.com has learnt.
Former CEO OF Kumasi Asante Kotoko Herbert Mensah confirmed the death in an interview with Joy News.
His wife is a neighbour to Dumor in London and was present when the doctors pronounced the BBC presenter dead. Mensah would not give any further details on the circumstances surrounding the death except to add that Esther Cobbah, head of Stratcomm Africa, and a friend to the Dumor family has been appointed to speak on the family's behalf.
Komla Dumor was on set Friday evening when he hosted the BBC Focus of Africa programme. It was to be his last. He was only last week nominated to be the face of the BBC for the World Cup in Brazil this summer.
The ace Ghanaian journalist, 2003 winner of the GJA Journalist of the year, hosted the Joy FM Super Morning Show for ten years before proceeding to the BBC in 2006 where he hosted a number of programmes including the BBC World News, Focus on Africa, Network Africa.
He was the only West African news reader on the BBC World news until his death.
Dumor achieved his feat in journalism without a journalism background.
His unique voice, passion, and an incredible attention to detail catapulted him to higher heights in journalism. He had interviewed some of the greatest world leaders, including former US president Bill Clinton, former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.
He was married to Kwansema Dumor, with whom he had three children. He was 41.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Family cleans house, finds pet tortoise missing since 1982
- Four Africa city destinations you should visit right now
- ‘Galamsey’-induced water crisis spreads through Cape Coast
- Security Warehouse wins Outstanding Electronic Security Company in West Africa
- Church leaders must ensure security on church premises - Opuni-Frimpong
- Let's fight poverty not each other - Bawumia calls for peace in Chereponi
- 3 persons jailed for receiving stolen items
- Self-styled journalist charged for fraud
- UN chief deplores lack of civilian protection in armed conflict
- Freedom of worship is not complete in Ghana - Abotsi
- Let's develop national character for sustainable good governance - Rawlings
- MTN Heroes of Change Season 5 10 finalists named
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead