The first woman Professor of Science at the University of Ghana, Professor Marian Ewurama Addy has been laid to rest at Saltpond in Central Region Saturday.
Professor Addy who was also host of the popular Science and Math Quiz on Ghana Television passed away in January after a short illness.
Addressing a vigil held in her honor on the University of Ghana campus, former Vice Chancellor, Professor Ivan Addai Mensah recounted the exploits of the late Professor Addy in scientific research.
"A lot has been said about her research. I will just give one example, her work on diabetes mellitus. What was the biochemistry behind it? Marian was able to determine the mechanism of action of the rooting and other [materials] present in the plant. This research that we carried out led to the improvement of a plant formulation," which is currently used for the treatment of diabetes in Mampong, Prof Ivan Addai Mensah recounted.
Former CEO of the Ghana Chamber of Mines, Dr. Joyce Aryee also paid tribute to the late Professor Addy.
"She was so many years my senior... she showed me so much respect I couldn't understand why and when she was launching her book, she actually sought me out, came to my office and asked that I become a part of it. I thought it was so wonderful of her to do that to come to my level when she was so much up there and it made my respect for her increase," Dr. Joyce Aryee said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, May 23, 2019
- Krobo-Odumase: Police beef up security following violent anti-PDS protest
- Achimota primary school denies student kidnapping claim
- Couple leave newborn baby in taxi on way home from hospital
- 10 ultimate travel experiences in Africa
- Media, security personnel train in civil-military relations
- Accra International Book Festival hosts South African writer on ‘Catch Up!’
- Year of Return: African diaspora & the significance of their return
- Boy shot dead, scores injured as Odumase protest against PDS
- Twellium Industry donates towards Alajo mosque rehabilitation
- Military officers, security experts get Peace Operations training
- Gov't provides 21 mechanised boreholes to Ghana Prisons Service
- Major Mahama murder trial: Prosecution invites 10th witness
- Special Prosecutor Office becoming butt of a joke – Suhuyini
- Ex-convict remanded for alleged murder of grandmother, 72