A three-year-old boy died on Tuesday after fire gutted a wooden structure in which he was sleeping in at Alajo, a suburb of Accra.
The boy identified only as John was burned beyond recognition, according to neighbours.
He had been locked in the room by her mother who had gone out briefly to buy something.
John's mother in tears
A neighbour said she heard the boy crying from the room but she was too afraid to enter the blazing structure becuase she had a child strapped to her back.
The fire which started around 9 pm also destroyed some 40 wooden houses and about 30 vehicles that had been parked there for repairs. The area has a lot of mechanic workshops.
Kotobabi District Police Commander, Elizabeth Danquah, said the body of the three-year-old will be conveyed to the Police Hospital for autopsy.
Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo who visited the site said it took personnel of Ghana Fire Service more than an hour to bring the fire under control.
Opoku Gakpo describes the area as a slum, with structures built haphazardly.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion