Abuakwa North Member of Parliament, Joseph Boakye Danquah Adu, has been stabbed to death at his residence at Shiashie in Accra.
It is not clear whether the New Patriotic Party (NPP) legislator was killed by armed robbers or a hitman but police have begun investigations into the killing.
Greater Accra Region Police Commander, COP George Dampare, confirmed the killing of the MP to Joy News Tuesday morning.
Listen to audio of police report
Police have been collecting evidence and examining the MP's body.
Joy News' Derrick Ekow Sam has been to the late MP's residence and reports family members have been grief-stricken by the murder of Mr. Danquah Adu.
He said he has picked up information that the assailants went straight to the MP's bedroom aided by a ladder and after struggling with him for a few minutes, they overpowered and stabbed him.
Photo: Some NPP members arrive at the late MP's residence, Tuesday.
JB Dankwa Adu, a grandson of the renowned NPP founding member Dr. J.B Danquah, was born on July 2, 1965. He is survived by a wife and two children.
Dr. J.B Danquah
Listen to short audio biography
He was deputy Minister for Women and Children’s Affairs under the erstwhile Kufuor administration, and won the Abuakwa North seat in the Eastern Region in the December 2012 elections after defeating the National Democratic Congress’ Victor Smith.
He was a member of the Special Budget Committee chaired by the Majority Leader.
The Committee considers the budget of Parliament and other constitutionally independent bodies, including, Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), National Media Commission (NMC), the Electoral Commission (EC), and National Commission on Civic Education (NCCE).
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Education directors ordered to declare teacher vacancies
- 100-year-old shipwreck remains wash up on North Carolina coast
- Just in: Gunmen abduct Indian businessman in Kumasi
- Tourists get thrilling Easter experience at Ghana’s top destinations
- Disclosing info on missing Taadi girls dangerous - AG
- We can’t bring Menzgold CEO home just yet – Attorney General
- Aker Energy proposal deadline not Friday – Energy Ministry refutes
- Tipper truck runs into building; injures 2 teenagers
- Photo of the week: Throwback as Chief Imam turns 100 years
- Minister orders reassignment of GHA Roads Toll Manager
- Filipino man has been nailed to a cross every Good Friday for 33 years
- Swedru Municipal guards assault case referred to ADR
- GhanaPostGPS requirement for ID card lands at Appeals court
- Bawumia to partake in Oxford University series of lectures
- UK school principals to visit Accra in May