Abuakwa North Member of Parliament, Joseph Boakye Danquah Adu, has been stabbed to death at his residence at Shiashie in Accra.
It is not clear whether the New Patriotic Party (NPP) legislator was killed by armed robbers or a hitman but police have begun investigations into the killing.
Greater Accra Region Police Commander, COP George Dampare, confirmed the killing of the MP to Joy News Tuesday morning.
Listen to audio of police report
Police have been collecting evidence and examining the MP's body.
Joy News' Derrick Ekow Sam has been to the late MP's residence and reports family members have been grief-stricken by the murder of Mr. Danquah Adu.
He said he has picked up information that the assailants went straight to the MP's bedroom aided by a ladder and after struggling with him for a few minutes, they overpowered and stabbed him.
Photo: Some NPP members arrive at the late MP's residence, Tuesday.
JB Dankwa Adu, a grandson of the renowned NPP founding member Dr. J.B Danquah, was born on July 2, 1965. He is survived by a wife and two children.
Dr. J.B Danquah
Listen to short audio biography
He was deputy Minister for Women and Children’s Affairs under the erstwhile Kufuor administration, and won the Abuakwa North seat in the Eastern Region in the December 2012 elections after defeating the National Democratic Congress’ Victor Smith.
He was a member of the Special Budget Committee chaired by the Majority Leader.
The Committee considers the budget of Parliament and other constitutionally independent bodies, including, Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), National Media Commission (NMC), the Electoral Commission (EC), and National Commission on Civic Education (NCCE).
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself
- Karen Halm hosts students to celebrate Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Kasapreko and partners commission 400KWp solar plant
- EOCO, Police destroy unwholesome turkey at Kpone landfill site
- Police Commander was 'sidelined' in bloody by-election in his district
- Used ladies underwear, pads, hot cakes for money rituals
- NPA to collaborate with Navy to fight fuel smugglers
- Court punishes ICGC, Cross Road Ministries branches, over excessive noise-making
- EC received no briefing from police on operational plans – Jean Mensa reveals
- Short Commission’s day one sitting has given hope – Aning
- Akufo-Addo’s Lancing College recruits Ghanaian students
- New board of ECOWAS Brown Card scheme promises improved service