Former Member of the Council of State and former member of erstwhile Provisional National Defence Council (PNDC), Dr Mary Grant, has passed away Sunday, her family has confirmed.
The family of the former PNDC and National Democratic Congress (NDC) stalwart said Dr Grant passed away Sunday September 18, 2016 afternoon at the 37 Military Hospital.
She turned 88 on August 6 this year.
Dr. Mary Grant made her political debut when she was appointed Deputy PNDC Secretary for Health in 1985.
During this time, she played a critical role in ensuring the welfare of all categories of health workers.
Photo: Dr Grant flanked by the President Mahama and Vice President Amissah-Authur
Her service in the field of health as well as her involvement in drawing up guidelines for grassroots political structures led to her appointment as a member of PNDC in 1989, with special responsibility for Health and Education.
With the inauguration of the Fourth Republic, she was appointed Member of the Council of State, a twenty-five member advisory body to the President. At the same time she was the Chairperson of the National Council on Women and Development.
In 1997 she was re-elected for another four-year term as a Member of the Council of State.
She has led Ghana’s delegation to many international conferences including World Health Organisation (WHO) General Assemblies in Geneva, WHO Regional Conferences in Africa, World Bank Meeting in Africa Health, Cairo Conference on Population and Development among others.
She was among Ghana’s delegation to the Beijing Conference on Women’s Rights.
At the 39th Annual General Conference in 1997, the Ghana Medical Association awarded her a Certificate of Honour for her concern for welfare of doctors.
She received a State award in the same year for her “wise and forthright counsel as a member of the Council of State”.
She left behind six children -- two of her own and four adopted -- and four grandsons.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion