The National Hajj Board has been reconstituted with former Greater Accra Minister, Sheikh I.C. Quaye leading the 11-man board to oversee the organisation of the annual Hajj.
Also appointed to head the Medical Unit of the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca is Dr Seidu Zakaria with Abdulai Rahman Alhassan Gomda heading the Communication Team while Dr Sani Abduai leads the Information Technology Unit.
Pilgrims performing some rituals during 2016 Hajj
Other members appointed by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to work in various capacities with the Board in the next four years are Abdul Malik Adams Gariba, Mr. Farouk Hamza, Sheikh Amin Bonsu, Alhaji Inusa Amadu and Mr. Kamal-Deen Abdulai
Also working with the Board are Ismaela Ibrahim, Mohammadu Osmanu Alidu, Mohammed Osumanu Yunusah, Mr. Braimah Adams and Dr. Mohammed Ibrahim Mohammed.
Some pilgrims from the last Hajj who could not fly demanding answers
The major issue the board will have to deal with is a purported GHC23 million debt left behind by the previous Hajj Board whiles finding ways to include those Muslims who had paid to undertake the holy journey last year but were unable to do so.
Last year Ghana flew some 5424 pilgrims on 12 flights with maiden four flights flying directly from Tamale to Jeddah.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- GES to introduce new curricula for next academic year
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo breaks silence over Menzgold saga
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo announces new curriculum for KG to P6
- SONA 2019: 62nd Independence Day celebrations to be held in Tamale
- SONA 2019: I'm mindful of next generation not next election – Akufo-Addo
- Aggrieved customers of Gold Coast Fund Management threaten demo
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, February 21, 2019
- Accra gets mechanical street sweepers for heavy traffic roads
- GIJ poised to lead media research in Ghana
- Vegan bride-to-be bans meat eaters from her wedding
- Where is hot in February? The 10 best holiday destinations
- Adopt latest Agric technology to combat climate change - Legacy Crop Centre CEO
- Reject party militia of all forms - Assemblies of God's rallying call
- Retraction and apology – use of wrong image
- 8 more persons declared wanted over fatal NDC office shooting