A houseboy at Ofankor in the Ga West municipality of the Greater Accra Region has been arrested for allegedly killing his 'master', Samuel Kwabena Poku, aged 60.
The suspect, Vanwood Kofi Asante, who is in the Custody of the Ministries Police Station and expected to appear before the court today, Friday March 17, 2017 has accordingly confessed to killing Mr. Poku
This reportedly occurred after Mr Poku returned from his base in London to attend a friend’s funeral in Ghana and to undertake some investment projects.
Initially, the family of the deceased, based on information given to it by the suspect, had reported to the Ofankor police that Mr. Poku had gone missing.
The suspect was said to have told the family that Mr Poku left home to meet some unnamed persons who had called him for a purported meeting.
However, all efforts by his family to reach him on phone proved futile, which led to suspicion that something untoward might have happened to him.
His son then had to travel from Kumasi to Accra to inquire about what might have gone wrong.
However, on Wednesday, March 15, the truth came out when the deceased’s burnt body was discovered at the Police Hospital morgue.
His charred body was said to have been discovered around Pokuase, Accra, and was sent to the hospital for an autopsy, with residents suspecting that the man might have been lynched by armed robbers.
Some neighbours of the deceased who became suspicious, caused the arrest of the houseboy for interrogation claiming that they heard the man shouting for help previously.
The case was transferred to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) headquarters and it was learnt later upon interrogation that the suspect confessed killing his master.
According to sources who witnessed the interrogation process, the houseboy narrated that he killed Mr Poku after a short argument.
The argument resulted from a claim by the houseboy that he had used an undisclosed amount of money to do some maintenance works in the house of his boss and wanted a refund.
Bbut his boss only promised him GHS 1,000 which he (houseboy) claimed was too meagre.
In the heat of the argument, Mr Poku had reportedly asked the suspect to pack out of his Ofankor ' house, resulting in a fight.
According to the suspect, Mr. Poku used a shovel to hit him, an agression which he returned by using the same shovel to hit him.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Juaben Traditional Council hands over 2 flats to police
- 'We don’t care about 2019 budget' – Spare parts dealers
- The Royal Express luxury train is the best way to see Japan
- Reverse Pinocchio – Researchers find that your nose shrinks when you lie
- Today's front pages
- Assistant headmaster of KUHIS suspended over sodomy allegations
- The Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition 2019 now open
- Students Loan Trust Fund apologises for delay in disbursement
- ‘Sack Ursula’: MP urges after ‘rude’ letter to BoG Secretary
- Political leaders should live up to their trusts - Peace Council Chair
- Journalist in ¢5m blackmail of ECG MD
- LECIAD sends off Prof. Mensa-Bonsu in style
- TUC pushes for utility tariff reduction
- 20,000 pieces of wax prints impounded for tax evasion
- GES worried over lack of attention for Physical Education