African Print retailers at the Makola Market in Accra have threatened to boycott the sale of the official cloth for Ghana@60 anniversary celebration because of its exorbitant price.
They warned that the cloth which was selling at Ghc240.00 for 12 yards, is far beyond the range of ordinary Ghanaians, and they would end up making loses.
In an interview with Mrs. Grace Mensah, an African Print seller, said she was not ready to go in for the anniversary cloth because “it is expensive! The cloth is expensive! How can someone buy one yard for Ghc20.00 and buy six yards for Ghc120.00 whilst it is a made in Ghana product”.
She added “it is a one-day celebration; after the celebration I don’t think people will patronize them so they must reduce the price to make it affordable for every ordinary Ghanaian to patronize and celebrate the occasion”.
Aunty Margaret a local print seller also said, the cloth was costly and she could not afford them from the wholesalers, “I will not go for the cloth from the suppliers”.
“Business is not working out smoothly, so going for the anniversary cloth might be a burden on me,” she added.
Naa Ashika said, compared to Ghana@50 anniversary cloth, this recent cloth was very expensive, “if I bring it to the market my customers would not patronize it because it is expensive and I cannot reduce the price either, so it is better I do not go for them”.
According to Ms Thelma Amponsah, she had gone for the anniversary cloth at the wholesale but people were not patronizing them, adding that, she was expecting business to boost as the day drew closer.
Some customers also opined that the cloth was expensive so they could not purchase it.
The Ghana@60 Planning Committee, on Thursday, February 23, 2017 unveiled the anniversary cloth for the country’s Diamond Anniversary.
The cloth, which features mainly the anniversary logo of three persons in an embrace to signify the unity in diversity of Ghanaians, comes in four different colours: white, yellow, blue, and green with the 60th-anniversary logo embossed on each.
The recommended prices for the cloth are as follows: GH¢220.00 per 12 yards for wholesalers; and GH¢240.00 for retailers.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- IHRMP honours Multimedia's HR manager
- Cat climbs into box, accidentally gets posted 700 miles away
- Guardians of Gray Masters Foundation to renovate 'deplorable' Bekwai Infirmary
- Ga East Municipal Assembly seizes developer's equipment
- GII calls for 'resurrection' of double salaries, other cold corruption cases
- Tree planters plant themselves at Commission over unpaid arrears
- 'The higher calling to serve': 18 Liberty Church pastors ordained
- Local Accra restaurant, N8TIVE, turns 1 in style
- Man charged for allegedly shooting, paralysing wife
- Opuni Trial: 'CRIG documents tampered, misfiled'
- Top prison bosses, 42 others promoted by President Akufo-Addo
- Prioritise education, digital connectivity – Lagarde advises gov't
- The five top destinations to visit in 2019 – an insider’s guide
- “World’s prettiest man” has to show ID to prove he’s male
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, December 18, 2018