African Print retailers at the Makola Market in Accra have threatened to boycott the sale of the official cloth for Ghana@60 anniversary celebration because of its exorbitant price.
They warned that the cloth which was selling at Ghc240.00 for 12 yards, is far beyond the range of ordinary Ghanaians, and they would end up making loses.
In an interview with Mrs. Grace Mensah, an African Print seller, said she was not ready to go in for the anniversary cloth because “it is expensive! The cloth is expensive! How can someone buy one yard for Ghc20.00 and buy six yards for Ghc120.00 whilst it is a made in Ghana product”.
She added “it is a one-day celebration; after the celebration I don’t think people will patronize them so they must reduce the price to make it affordable for every ordinary Ghanaian to patronize and celebrate the occasion”.
Aunty Margaret a local print seller also said, the cloth was costly and she could not afford them from the wholesalers, “I will not go for the cloth from the suppliers”.
“Business is not working out smoothly, so going for the anniversary cloth might be a burden on me,” she added.
Naa Ashika said, compared to Ghana@50 anniversary cloth, this recent cloth was very expensive, “if I bring it to the market my customers would not patronize it because it is expensive and I cannot reduce the price either, so it is better I do not go for them”.
According to Ms Thelma Amponsah, she had gone for the anniversary cloth at the wholesale but people were not patronizing them, adding that, she was expecting business to boost as the day drew closer.
Some customers also opined that the cloth was expensive so they could not purchase it.
The Ghana@60 Planning Committee, on Thursday, February 23, 2017 unveiled the anniversary cloth for the country’s Diamond Anniversary.
The cloth, which features mainly the anniversary logo of three persons in an embrace to signify the unity in diversity of Ghanaians, comes in four different colours: white, yellow, blue, and green with the 60th-anniversary logo embossed on each.
The recommended prices for the cloth are as follows: GH¢220.00 per 12 yards for wholesalers; and GH¢240.00 for retailers.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill
- Security guard jailed for threatening former minister
- Defence Minister picks Chokosi, Konkomba leaders as microphones for peace mission
- Tumu SHS: Two high-schoolers nabbed for vandalism over seized phones
- Ghana may legalise same-sex marriage in 2039 - Kpebu
- Photos: US Ambassador holds Iftar with interfaith community
- Efficient agriculture surest bet to beating climate change – Experts
- Pictures: Fire ravages furniture shop at Sakaman
- Passport fees to go up
- Darkuman police station gets Church of Pentecost help
- Photo of the week: The contradiction on the wall