African Print retailers at the Makola Market in Accra have threatened to boycott the sale of the official cloth for Ghana@60 anniversary celebration because of its exorbitant price.
They warned that the cloth which was selling at Ghc240.00 for 12 yards, is far beyond the range of ordinary Ghanaians, and they would end up making loses.
In an interview with Mrs. Grace Mensah, an African Print seller, said she was not ready to go in for the anniversary cloth because “it is expensive! The cloth is expensive! How can someone buy one yard for Ghc20.00 and buy six yards for Ghc120.00 whilst it is a made in Ghana product”.
She added “it is a one-day celebration; after the celebration I don’t think people will patronize them so they must reduce the price to make it affordable for every ordinary Ghanaian to patronize and celebrate the occasion”.
Aunty Margaret a local print seller also said, the cloth was costly and she could not afford them from the wholesalers, “I will not go for the cloth from the suppliers”.
“Business is not working out smoothly, so going for the anniversary cloth might be a burden on me,” she added.
Naa Ashika said, compared to Ghana@50 anniversary cloth, this recent cloth was very expensive, “if I bring it to the market my customers would not patronize it because it is expensive and I cannot reduce the price either, so it is better I do not go for them”.
According to Ms Thelma Amponsah, she had gone for the anniversary cloth at the wholesale but people were not patronizing them, adding that, she was expecting business to boost as the day drew closer.
Some customers also opined that the cloth was expensive so they could not purchase it.
The Ghana@60 Planning Committee, on Thursday, February 23, 2017 unveiled the anniversary cloth for the country’s Diamond Anniversary.
The cloth, which features mainly the anniversary logo of three persons in an embrace to signify the unity in diversity of Ghanaians, comes in four different colours: white, yellow, blue, and green with the 60th-anniversary logo embossed on each.
The recommended prices for the cloth are as follows: GH¢220.00 per 12 yards for wholesalers; and GH¢240.00 for retailers.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- GES to introduce new curricula for next academic year
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo breaks silence over Menzgold saga
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo announces new curriculum for KG to P6
- SONA 2019: 62nd Independence Day celebrations to be held in Tamale
- SONA 2019: I'm mindful of next generation not next election – Akufo-Addo
- Aggrieved customers of Gold Coast Fund Management threaten demo
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, February 21, 2019
- Accra gets mechanical street sweepers for heavy traffic roads
- GIJ poised to lead media research in Ghana
- Vegan bride-to-be bans meat eaters from her wedding
- Where is hot in February? The 10 best holiday destinations
- Adopt latest Agric technology to combat climate change - Legacy Crop Centre CEO
- Reject party militia of all forms - Assemblies of God's rallying call
- Retraction and apology – use of wrong image
- 8 more persons declared wanted over fatal NDC office shooting