The National Hajj Board has been reconstituted with former Greater Accra Minister, Sheikh I.C. Quaye leading the 11-man board to oversee the organisation of the annual Hajj.
Also appointed to head the Medical Unit of the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca is Dr Seidu Zakaria with Abdulai Rahman Alhassan Gomda heading the Communication Team while Dr Sani Abduai leads the Information Technology Unit.
Pilgrims performing some rituals during 2016 Hajj
Other members appointed by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to work in various capacities with the Board in the next four years are Abdul Malik Adams Gariba, Mr. Farouk Hamza, Sheikh Amin Bonsu, Alhaji Inusa Amadu and Mr. Kamal-Deen Abdulai
Also working with the Board are Ismaela Ibrahim, Mohammadu Osmanu Alidu, Mohammed Osumanu Yunusah, Mr. Braimah Adams and Dr. Mohammed Ibrahim Mohammed.
Some pilgrims from the last Hajj who could not fly demanding answers
The major issue the board will have to deal with is a purported GHC23 million debt left behind by the previous Hajj Board whiles finding ways to include those Muslims who had paid to undertake the holy journey last year but were unable to do so.
Last year Ghana flew some 5424 pilgrims on 12 flights with maiden four flights flying directly from Tamale to Jeddah.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Defunct UT Bank chases Woyome for GH¢9.4m debt
- E.P. Church honours Bawumia for his religious tolerance
- GHACCO applauds gov't for promoting clean cooking
- KNUST: Teacher unions restore suspended services
- Government accused of distributing expiring fertilizers to farmers
- Give Me Hope Foundation partners Alfie Design to train women in deprived c'nities
- Japanese passport now world's most powerful
- Ghana, Qatar sign 5 Memoranda of Understanding
- 95-year-old man wakes up at his own funeral, says he was just taking a nap
- Dagbon youth fight to keep Chereponi out of new region
- Update: KNUST reopens Friday
- EC Commissioner goes soul-winning at Accra Mall
- 'Time to possess nations' -The Church Of Pentecost unveils 5-year vision
- Ghana Library Authority revives 20-yr broken union with Book Aid Int.
- Govt will sustain free SHS funding - GES Director-General