A 60-year-old farmer, James Obeng Boateng, from the Brong Ahafo region has been adjudged the 2018 National Best Farmer at a ceremony held in the Northern regional capital, Tamale.
Mr. Boateng from the Nkoranza South district of the region has been farming for the past 18 years, producing cassava, cocoyam, cereals, okro, pepper, garden eggs, mango and cashew.
The father of six also rears cattle, goats, sheep and manages two fish ponds as well as 100 boxes of beehives.
The national award comes with a ¢480,000 cheque, a huge improvement from the events first edition in 1985 where the winner took home cutlasses.
Mr. Obeng Boateng had his cheque presented to him by the President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo at the events 34th edition.
In a citation, the overall best farmer was described as a philanthropist helping to renovate teachers’ bungalows in the district.
He is also a former 1st Runner-Up at the awards organised in the Nkoranza district of the Brong Ahafo region.
Mr. Obeng Boateng takes over from Philip Kweku Agyeman who won the 33rd edition in 2017 and also hails from the Brong Ahafo region.
It means Brong Ahafo region retains the national award.
A farmer from the Central region, Charity Akotia, was also adjudged the 1st Runner-Up while Alex Frimpong who farms in the Kwahu Afram Plains of the Eastern region took the 2nd Runner-Up position.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ugandan cows 'to get birth certificates'
- Immigration foils trafficking of 7 girls
- Ghanaian scientists to be profiled at landmark scientific meeting
- 2nd Edition of Driver & Road Safety Awards launched
- Suspend prosecution of Menzgold CEO, help us retrieve cash - Aggrieved customers
- Poly Tank receives second Superbrand award
- Rev. Steve Mensah, CEM to build ‘Ability Village' PWDs
- Autism school nears collapse as ¢200k investment for kids is locked up
- Textbook publishers to be certified by NaCCA
- Afoko pleads not guilty to murder charges
- Sandema SHTS: Student dies after clashes with police
- Concerned old boys of Bishop Herman College raise funds to buy mono-desks
- Prof Bawole appointed Dean of University of Ghana Business School
- An entire family is wiped out a day in road crashes - Report
- Prof Atuguba appointed Dean of University of Ghana School of Law