National Coordinator, National Farmers’ Day Secretariat, Mr Philip Osei-Nkrumah, has said that there will be no regional celebration of the 2018 National Farmers’ Day.
The decision to cancel the Regional celebrations was due to the fact that more funds were being used for regional funfair to the detriment of the districts, Mr Philip Osei-Nkrumah has told the Ghana News Agency (GNA).
Mr Osei-Nkrumah said in view of that Government had directed that all funds meant for regional Farmers’ Day celebration should be channelled for the strengthening of the district celebrations.
The 2018 National Farmer Day, which is on the general theme: “Agriculture, Moving Ghana beyond Aid,” would be observed only at the district and national levels.
This year’s activities started with a National Agricultural Fair from Thursday, November 29, which is expected to hit its climaxed on Friday, December 7, at the Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium in Tamale, Northern Region.
Mr Osei-Nkrumah explained that five categories of winners from each Region – the Regional Best Farmers, First Runner-Up, Second Runner-Up, Regional Best Agricultural Extension Agent, and Regional Best Fisherman, would be honoured by the President at the National Celebration.
The National Farmers Day is commemorated each year on the first Friday of December to honour the nation's gallant farmers and fishers.
The event acknowledges the vital position farmers and fishers occupy in the nations socio-economic development.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day