Board Chairman of the Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL) has rallied his colleagues for a bipartisan approach to reducing pollution and destruction of the country’s water bodies.
This according to Alexander Afenyo Markin, will ensure the uninterrupted supply of water to the public.
“I’m calling on my colleagues…who know that water is life, must support this statement. It is not the rhetorics [and] take partisan politics out so that this country will win that war…,” the Effutu MP stated on the Floor of Parliament Tuesday.
His appeal comes a day after it emerged that a contractor is to blame for the acute water shortage that has hit the Western region city of Takoradi.
Alexander Afenyo Markin is Board Chair of GWSC
The company is said to have cited its activities on the Anankore River which is the main source of water for GWCL’s treatment plant in Intchaban.
This has resulted in a significant drop in the volume of water pumped daily to residents from four million gallons per day 1.4million gallons per day.
The effect, more than 400,000 residents in the metropolis have been grappling with persistent water shortage for more than a month.
Giving the matter a further push in the House, Mr Afenyo Markin lamented how human activities close to dams that serve water production plants is a key contributor to the inadequate water supply to the public.
He noted that government has over the years invested about ¢2 billion in the water sector but that is still not enough to sufficiently meet the needs of consumers.
“Because of that we are even treating sea water [desalination] at a very high cost,” the GWCL Board Chair disclosed.
Listen to Mr. Alexander Afenyo Markin in the audio attached:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ex-convict sent back to prison for stealing
- Retired army officer criticises presser on Canadian girls’ rescue
- Odumase police investigate alleged lynching of unidentified man
- 94-year-old World War II veteran gets high school diploma
- Spending time in nature boosts health, study finds
- ENA calls for gov’t support for persons living with albinism
- Kidnappers of Canadian women demanded $800k ransom
- Gun-toting primary 3 student released on bail for threatening headmaster
- Gov't to increase research funding for tertiary teachers
- Unemployed jailed 15 years for robbing MoMo merchant
- MPs aid strangers to breach security - Deputy Speaker
- Myjoyonline week in pictures: And the 2 Canadians were rescued!
- Kidnapped Canadians: Kenyasi-Achiase residents receives death threats
- Ghanaian, 2 Nigerians freed from Trinidad & Tobago jail - thanks to Akufo-Addo
- I took 15yrs to forgive God -Ebo Whyte recounts importance of fathers