At least three persons have been confirmed dead in Accra following a heavy downpour Sunday evening.
The National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO), who confirmed the deaths to JoyNews, said the fatalities occurred at different parts of the capital.
Greater Accra Regional Director of NADMO, Archibald Cobbinah, said one death was recorded at Awudome and another at Avenor.
“A lady was also electrocuted and was rushed to the hospital but the information I have this morning is that she has passed,” said Cobbinah.
He added that a woman and her baby are also missing and their search team has not located them yet.
Sunday evening’s rain left parts of the city including Kaneshie, Dzorwulu and Kwame Nkrumah Circle flooded.
Photo: Graphic| The newly constructed circle interchange was flooded as well
NADMO says their team is reaching out to other affected persons to offer relief items.
Speaking to Joy News, Cobbinah appealed to the public to cease indiscriminate dumping of refuse in gutters and drainages.
“This is a communal responsibility,” he stressed.
Meanwhile, at Lartebiokorshie, also a suburb of Accra, a Nissan saloon car has been smashed after the rainstorm uprooted a tree which landed on it.
Residents say the tree has blocked the road, causing a traffic jam.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage
- Gov't to establish permanent body to protect, ensure media freedom
- Advocacy group applauds NaCCA boss
- Germany, Norway support KAIPTC’s maiden Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum
- Gov't reiterates commitment to protecting journalists
- Left to rot: $2m Hyundai Gallopers sold for $276k
- Anti-GMO groups to call foreign witnesses in GMO court case
- Adjaye refutes architects’ allegation - Says firm is doing legitimate business
- Newspaper headlines : Friday, July 19, 2019
- Teachers urged to encourage students to excel
- Police open investigation into fatal Akrokerri mine pit collapse