Chances are that you will soon see the British High Commissioner to Ghana, Iain Walker, and his cycling entourage ride past your town or village if you are on the Paga to Accra road network.
Mr. Walker is not part of any cycling competition but rather, the Commissioner plans to cover the over 800 kilometres from Paga into the capital in August this year to raise funds.
In a tweet Tuesday morning, he spoke about his plans to use the ‘tour’ to raise money for the Korle-bu Burns and Plastics Unit.
According to him, the ride will also afford him the opportunity to “see Ghana from a different perspective and meet people in their own communities.”
Already, lots of people and organisations including NGO and popular eateries dotted along the road network are extending a welcome hand to the British High Commissioner to make a stopover.
In August this year, I plan to cycle from Paga to Accra. Covering 800km in a week, I want to see Ghana from a different perspective & meet people in their own communities.
I’m hoping to raise money for Korle Bu Burns & Plastics Unit. Will be seeking ideas as the plan develops! pic.twitter.com/hmKSvrXGOr— Iain Walker (@walkeriain) April 8, 2019
About the Korle-bu Burns and Plastic Unit
The Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) funded Burns Intensive Care Unit Complex of the National Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Burns Centre (NRPSBC) was commissioned last year.
The almost $2 million facility, the only Centre of its kind and status in West Africa, was commissioned by President Akufo-Addo who supported it with his November 2018 salary.
The Centre is committed to reaching the highest level of excellence in the field of reconstructive plastic surgery, dutifully treating all patients with deformities, ulcers, burns, cancers and various injuries with respect and compassion and restoring them to as normal a state as possible.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- "Are Ghana's cities clean for ‘Year of Return’?"
- Tarzan chides Akufo-Addo, Sakyi-Addo, Kan Dapaah over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- Akufo-Addo administration has worse press freedom record – Tarzan fires
- Israel Embassy launches competition to promote green innovation
- Media houses join hands in #DefendMediaFreedom campaign
- Immediate past IGP not free of contempt charges – Srem-Sai
- Efforts to end water scarcity must be science-driven – Expert
- That’s My Opinion: ’Good citizens are not born’
- Video: Adenta-Madina residents refuse to use highway footbridge
- Medical report declaring MP murder suspect sane for trial challenged
- Afoko contempt case: IGP, CID boss fail to show up on judgement day again
- Akufo-Addo directs IGP Apeatu to hand over to deputy
- World Population Day: Support, empower adolescents in fight against teenage pregnancies
- Danger! LPG cylinders' safety compromised