Police in Accra are investigating a Nigerian professor in Ghana for unsavoury comments he made in a viral video.
Prof. Augustine Uzoma Nwagbara, according to the police, has been “cautioned on the offense of offensive conduct conducive to the breach of peace.”
He has, however, been granted bail.
But the spokesperson of the former President John Mahama’s 2020 Presidential bid, James Agyenim Boateng, has taken a dig at the law enforcers for their action.
James Agyenim Boateng
In a post on Twitter Wednesday, James Agyenim Boateng said: “this is needless and a completed waste of time.”
“At worst, [Prof Nwagbara’s] speech may be unpleasant, not criminal. In any case, he says Nigerians should change the narrative with a superior media campaign…,” Boateng said.
This is needless and a completed waste of time. At worst his speech may be unpleasant, not criminal. In any case, he says Nigerians should change the narrative with a superior media campaign. Wherein lies the criminal offence? https://t.co/ajUPPCnksN
— James Agyenim-Boaten (@jagyenim) 19 June 2019
What did Prof Nwagbara say?
The professor, at a meeting of Nigerians, accused the media in Ghana for giving Nigerians a bad name.
To counter this, he proposes that the media in Nigeria comes to Ghana to run documentaries that will dent the image of Ghana.
“Let us use our own media and get back to them… in three days Ghana will respond,” he says.
In another allegation, Prof Nwagbara accused an officer of the Ghana Police of seizing his dumbbells at a checkpoint.
Worse, he alleges that the said officer is not a Ghanaian. “He is a Nigerian,” he said.
The regulations guiding recruitment into the Ghana Police Service say the applicant must be a Ghanaian.
Watch the full video below:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- LEKMA road finally gets new contractor
- Deeper Life tackles immorality with campus congress
- Report wives who wear jeans to bed - DOVVSU
- You can pay to cuddle cows at this New York farm
- Controversy-plagued UEW halts 2019 graduation
- Wa regional hospital boss sacked
- Name those you accuse – Dr. Akwetey tells 'undermined' Special Prosecutor
- Tiger fleeing floodwaters breaks into home, relaxes in bed
- Residents chase out police for bringing back alleged witches
- Video: Baako explains why police disobeyed court order on Afoko bail
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage