Police have confirmed that no arrests have been made relating to violent clashes at Achimota in Accra on Tuesday.
The Tesano Division Commander, ACP Oduro Amaning told Joy News Wednesday morning that they are now “gathering names of people who took part in the [burning down of homes].”
A group of irate youth stormed a slum community near the railway line that passes through Achimota and torched the homes there after one of their own was stabbed to death
The rampaging youth did not allow their victims to salvage any property from the homes.
“One of them hauled a cutlass at me and asked me not to bring out any property. Everything is destroyed,” one of the residents said.
The group, according to the brother of the deceased was only reacting after his brother was reportedly stabbed to death by another group from the community which has now been burnt down.
ACP Amaning said the only information available to the police now is that the deceased was stabbed by a group led by a man only identified as Ibrahim over disagreements over some money.
The officer also lamented on how difficult it is to get the parties and residents to volunteer information to the police.
Despite conceding that many crimes have been reported from the area, ACP Amaning says such crimes are difficult to investigate since either the information given is not coherent or evidence given is none existent.
“They tell us someone has been stabbed and is laying there but you go there and there is no corpse and we follow up to the hospitals and there are no such persons sent there,” he lamented.
He, however, said they are investigating the current case as they have already visited the scene.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- LEKMA road finally gets new contractor
- Deeper Life tackles immorality with campus congress
- Report wives who wear jeans to bed - DOVVSU
- You can pay to cuddle cows at this New York farm
- Controversy-plagued UEW halts 2019 graduation
- Wa regional hospital boss sacked
- Name those you accuse – Dr. Akwetey tells 'undermined' Special Prosecutor
- Tiger fleeing floodwaters breaks into home, relaxes in bed
- Residents chase out police for bringing back alleged witches
- Video: Baako explains why police disobeyed court order on Afoko bail
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage