The Swedru Divisional Police Command has arrested and placed in custody a municipal guard of the Agona West Municipal Assembly who assaulted on a young man last Wednesday.
Peter Danso’s arrest follows a viral video of him assaulting the young man for allegedly stealing money from a mobile money vendor.
Kwame who was on his knees was kicked in a karate fashion more than once from his head to the ground, whilst people looked as they insulted and cursed the victim.
The video, which went viral, has sparked public outcry for the city guard to be made to face the law.
Superintendent Seth Yirenkyi, the Swedru District Police Commander, said the suspect was arrested on Friday on the orders of the Inspector General of Police, and investigations were on-going to establish what happened.
He said Danso, who was detailed by the Municipal Assembly to collect tolls at a Lorry Station in Swedru, attacked the boy after a mobile money operator (name withheld) reported to him that Kwame had stolen his money.
The City guard in the video was initially mistaken for a police officer but the Police Administration, in a press release, denied it saying the offender was a municipal guard and that the case was being investigated.
In a press release, the Police Administration said preliminary investigations established that the victim was arrested for the offence by some civilians and municipal guards.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- SSNIT wants contribution rate reviewed
- Let’s collaborate to run mission schools - Presbyterian University president to govt
- GNPC Foundation secures scholarship for students in rural communities
- Ex-convict sent back to prison for stealing
- Retired army officer criticises presser on Canadian girls’ rescue
- Odumase police investigate alleged lynching of unidentified man
- 94-year-old World War II veteran gets high school diploma
- Spending time in nature boosts health, study finds
- ENA calls for gov’t support for persons living with albinism
- Kidnappers of Canadian women demanded $800k ransom
- Gun-toting primary 3 student released on bail for threatening headmaster
- Gov't to increase research funding for tertiary teachers
- Unemployed jailed 15 years for robbing MoMo merchant
- MPs aid strangers to breach security - Deputy Speaker
- Myjoyonline week in pictures: And the 2 Canadians were rescued!