The biennial 2019 World Beard and Mustache Championship got underway Friday in Antwerp, Belgium.
Sponsored this year by Snorrenclub Antwerpen -- "Moustache Club of Antwerp" in Dutch -- the event draws beard and mustache enthusiasts from around the world for a three-day convention and contest.
Friday's events include a Ladies' competition, with categories for Realistic and Creative expression of artificial beards and moustaches.
Participants will visit the Antwerp Zoo on Friday.
The World Beard and Mustache Association, organized in 1990, is the governing body and hosted the first event, in Holten, Germany.
Since 2001, it has been an every-two-years competition, visiting Brighton, England; Anchorage, Alaska; Trondheim, Norway; Stuttgart, Germany; Leogang, Austria, and in 2017, Austin, Texas.
There are three brackets of facial hair under consideration in competition: moustache, partial beard and full beard, and each has several categories for judges to score.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ga West Municipal Assembly auctions 4 "arrested" goats for ¢665
- BOST signs Collective Bargaining Agreement with Senior Staff
- Ethiopian Airlines is Africa’s Best Airline for 3rd consecutive year
- Stereotyping Nigerians: High Commissioner was right to caution media
- Judge summons IGP, CID boss as contempt looms
- Sonrise fails to shine as Pope John record first NSMQ win in two years
- A few Nigerians committing crimes in Ghana - Dr Antwi Danso
- Agyenim Boateng blasts CID for arresting Nigerian professor
- No arrests made in fatal Achimota clashes
- CAMFED echos call for more action against teenage pregnancy
- Catholic Bishop wants to drop holy water out of a helicopter in mass exorcism
- From the newsstands: Wednesday, June 19, 2019
- Worldwide displacement tops 70m - UN urges solidarity in response
- ‘Show us this idiot’: Nigerian community wants to meet suspect in missing Taadi girls case
- High court backs NCA’s 45km maximum coverage radius for radio stations