Residents in the Ashanti Region capital were hit by yet another incident of floods, following a downpour Monday evening just as they were winding up for the day.
Areas such as Airport Roundabout, Anloga Junction, Dichemso, Buokrom and Amakom were all submerged after two hours of rain.
Vehicles and shops caught up in flood infront of the Kumasi Central Market
The Kumasi Central Market was not spared of the rain as a substantial part of the market, including the butchery got flooded. Several shops including pharmacy shops were inundated with flood waters.
This school bus loaded with pupils was also not spared
Some pedestrians using the main Kumasi-Barekese road, Anloga Junction-Kurofrom and the Airport Roundabout- Asawasi roads, were trapped in floodwaters as the roads became impassable.
Police busily redirected traffic as pedestrians including children, became helpless.
Some were left with no option but to remove their footwear in order to wade about in the flood waters which had risen to the waist-level.
The rains which started around 4 pm left the Kumasi-Anloga Junction stretch inaccessible.
The drain which held up the overflow of the Aboabo River, for the second time in a year gave up.
While some residents blame obstruction of water flow caused by siting of a gas station near the bridge, others read spiritual meaning, citing demise of the Aboabo River fetish.
Commercial activities in one of the busiest roundabouts in the region came to a halt.
Fire personnel, police and officials of the National Disaster Management Organisation, were on hand to ensure the safety of victims at all affected places.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Third complaint against Sir David Adjaye over multiple contracts
- Christian family refuses to pay income taxes because it “goes against God’s will”
- Woman, 34, murdered in Agona Swedru
- Parliament approves conversion of UDS Wa campus into University
- 43-year-old mechanic jailed 5 years for beating up police officers
- Photo of the Week: When 'abnormal' indecent exposure becomes 'normal'
- KAIPTC to host flagship peace, security forum to honour late Kofi Annan
- Video: Presec students create App to track exeats
- Public Procurement Authority receives top award in Berlin
- L’AINE Services ends career clinic in Tamale
- Court to hear stay of proceedings motion filed by Dr Opuni
- Mahama murder trial: Court orders BNI to give suspect more time with lawyer
- Failed nurse jailed 22 months for faking documents
- The LEKMA road that kills people seeking medical care
- Bad roads: It's leadership's responsibility to FixLekmaNow - Residents