Residents in the Ashanti Region capital were hit by yet another incident of floods, following a downpour Monday evening just as they were winding up for the day.
Areas such as Airport Roundabout, Anloga Junction, Dichemso, Buokrom and Amakom were all submerged after two hours of rain.
Vehicles and shops caught up in flood infront of the Kumasi Central Market
The Kumasi Central Market was not spared of the rain as a substantial part of the market, including the butchery got flooded. Several shops including pharmacy shops were inundated with flood waters.
This school bus loaded with pupils was also not spared
Some pedestrians using the main Kumasi-Barekese road, Anloga Junction-Kurofrom and the Airport Roundabout- Asawasi roads, were trapped in floodwaters as the roads became impassable.
Police busily redirected traffic as pedestrians including children, became helpless.
Some were left with no option but to remove their footwear in order to wade about in the flood waters which had risen to the waist-level.
The rains which started around 4 pm left the Kumasi-Anloga Junction stretch inaccessible.
The drain which held up the overflow of the Aboabo River, for the second time in a year gave up.
While some residents blame obstruction of water flow caused by siting of a gas station near the bridge, others read spiritual meaning, citing demise of the Aboabo River fetish.
Commercial activities in one of the busiest roundabouts in the region came to a halt.
Fire personnel, police and officials of the National Disaster Management Organisation, were on hand to ensure the safety of victims at all affected places.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- NSMQ2019 Day 2 wrap: Kumasi derby that broke KASS hearts, kick seeded school out
- Thought-provoking quotes from Joy FM's Super Morning Show
- NaCCA finalizes ‘anti-corruption’ integrity education manual for students
- Former Dep minister's son found dead in Manhattan
- NSMQ2019: 1pt difference as OWASS dumps KASS, OKESS in Kumasi derby
- Photos: Dag Heward-Mills visits Archbishop of Canterbury
- 3 arrested for robbing fetish priest, kidnapping son
- Kindergarten pupil dies after falling in septic tank
- Chinese suspect in banned Rosewood trade re-arrested
- Asantehene destools second chief in a week
- NSMQ2019: How St Ignatius used 'Problem of the Day' to kick out a seeded school
- Pepsodent supports SOS Children Village Founder’s Day
- March to decriminalise marijuana gets EFL support
- Zongo chief takes on UEW Vice Chancellor over discord at university
- Over 98% of ABFA cash pumped into free SHS in 2018 – Report