A Senior lecturer at the University of Ghana has backed the choice of Dr Mahamudu Bawumia as running mate for the New Patriotic Party flagbearer Nana Akufo-Addo.
Dr Kwasi Jonah said the former deputy Governor of the Bank of Ghana is the best running mate Nana Akufo-Addo could have.
The twice defeated presidential candidate stuck to the same ticket which lost to president John Mills in 2008 and then to President John Mahama in 2012.
After a meeting with the National Council members of the party, Thursday, Nana Akufo-Addo announced his choice of running mate much to the delight of party followers.
Unlike 2008, and to a lesser extent 2012, there is no dissenting voice to the choice of Bawumia.
In an interview with Joy News, Dr Jonah said Dr Bawumia has marketed himself so well to the party gurus, there was no way he could be ignored.
He said the renowned economist and banker complements the ticket with his youthful exuberance and his technical competence.
Dr Jonah said a 70 year old Akufo-Addo turning 72 in 2016 would need a relatively younger running mate to make the ticket appealing to the electorates.
In addition, he said Dr Bawumia brings technical competence to the ticket with an in-depth knowledge in banking and economics.
Debunking assertions that the ticket had lost twice and has become unappealing to electorates, Mustapha Hamid, aide to Nana Akufo-Addo told Joy News "the fact that this ticket has lost twice is no guarantee it will lose again".
"The reason why people vote for or against a ticket differs from one voting period to another," he said, adding the conditions that prevailed in 2008 and 2012 were no longer prevailing.
He said the party needed to start campaigning very early and that informed the early election and announcement of the running mate.
He also described as "myth" claims that Nana Akufo-Addo was unappealing to floating voters.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop
- Make U/W 'everlasting stronghold' for NPP - Minister to NPP
- CID boss’ conduct ‘indefensible’ - Kasser-Tee fires
- Free SHS is most people-centered policy in Ghanaian history - Yagaba Chief
- Agalga responds to arms importation controversy; says gov’t being dishonest
- No space for conflicts; end the violence now – Akufo-Addo to ‘Chereponis'
- EIU report: NDC rubbishes 2020 victory prediction for NPP
- NDC issued permit for arms importation 2 days before leaving office - Gov’t reveals
- Nayiri lauds Akufo-Addo’s intervention in roads sector
- Philanthropist to industrialise Mfantseman constituency
- We’ve cleared arrears - Health Minister on trainee allowances
- DCEs abandon terrorism meeting; minister outraged
- Ghanaians angry with NPP, NDC – JOY restrategises for 2020 victory
- EIU predicts 2020 victory for Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t urged to consult broadly on Nima regeneration project