The Kyebi Executive Council has banned two Eastern Region executive members of the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) from visiting Okyehene’s palace.
According to the Council, the two executives - Regional Chairman, Tawiah Boateng and Youth Organizer, Appaw Haruna Owiredu - have brought the name of the Paramount Chief, Osagyefo Amoatia Ofori Panin, into disrepute hence the decision.
Speaking on behalf of the Council, Assistant [Akyem] State Secretary, D.M. Ofori-Attah, said the duo have consistently defamed the Okyehene.
He said in the course of the 2012 election petition in which the New Patriotic Party (NPP) was challenging the final result that declared the NDC winners, the Okyehene paid a courtesy call on President Mahama at the Flagstaff House.
Mr Ofori Attah said the Okyehene used the opportunity to advise President Mahama to help maintain calm and peace in the country by respecting whatever decision the Supreme Court makes.
He asserted Mr Boateng and Mr Owiredu opposed the visit of Okyehene and took to the media to make false and malicious claims against the Paramount Chief.
He said they accused the Okyehene of wading into political matters when he has not been invited to do so.
The other issue, as he narrated, was when the Okyehene went with some of his council members to inspect road construction in the region especially the Suhum road.
He said due to the bad condition of some of the roads and how they have contributed to eroding the economic life of the people, the Okyehene called on the President to expedite action on the construction of the road. The Okyehene also used the opportunity to draw the attention of the government to fulfill what it has promise the people, Mr Ofori-Attah disclosed.
He noted that the duo again lambasted the Okyehene for complaining about the poor roads arguing he was involving himself in political matters.
He revealed the only way the two would be invited to visit the palace would be when they openly apologize to the Okyehene for their actions and utterances.
However, one of the men, Appaw Haruna Owiredu, has discredited the claims by the Council, insisting they have done no wrong.
“Why will you render an apology for having done nothing?” he asked, adding the decision by the Kyebi Executive Council is unwarranted.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Mahama urged to submit his evidence to Emile Short Commission
- Hot Video: Joy News Editorial: Short Commission - Same questions, different responses
- Parliament summons Interior Minister over recent children assaults
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria
- Short Commission: Police denies knowledge of SWAT vehicle, masked men
- Rawlings calls for global political accountability
- Short Commission probe: No armed men in any of our polling stations - Jean Mensa
- Lack of political will cause of growing vigilantism - Aning