The Kyebi Executive Council has banned two Eastern Region executive members of the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) from visiting Okyehene’s palace.
According to the Council, the two executives - Regional Chairman, Tawiah Boateng and Youth Organizer, Appaw Haruna Owiredu - have brought the name of the Paramount Chief, Osagyefo Amoatia Ofori Panin, into disrepute hence the decision.
Speaking on behalf of the Council, Assistant [Akyem] State Secretary, D.M. Ofori-Attah, said the duo have consistently defamed the Okyehene.
He said in the course of the 2012 election petition in which the New Patriotic Party (NPP) was challenging the final result that declared the NDC winners, the Okyehene paid a courtesy call on President Mahama at the Flagstaff House.
Mr Ofori Attah said the Okyehene used the opportunity to advise President Mahama to help maintain calm and peace in the country by respecting whatever decision the Supreme Court makes.
He asserted Mr Boateng and Mr Owiredu opposed the visit of Okyehene and took to the media to make false and malicious claims against the Paramount Chief.
He said they accused the Okyehene of wading into political matters when he has not been invited to do so.
The other issue, as he narrated, was when the Okyehene went with some of his council members to inspect road construction in the region especially the Suhum road.
He said due to the bad condition of some of the roads and how they have contributed to eroding the economic life of the people, the Okyehene called on the President to expedite action on the construction of the road. The Okyehene also used the opportunity to draw the attention of the government to fulfill what it has promise the people, Mr Ofori-Attah disclosed.
He noted that the duo again lambasted the Okyehene for complaining about the poor roads arguing he was involving himself in political matters.
He revealed the only way the two would be invited to visit the palace would be when they openly apologize to the Okyehene for their actions and utterances.
However, one of the men, Appaw Haruna Owiredu, has discredited the claims by the Council, insisting they have done no wrong.
“Why will you render an apology for having done nothing?” he asked, adding the decision by the Kyebi Executive Council is unwarranted.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- "My son Anyidoho's decision to contest me not betrayal" - Asiedu Nketia
- "Days of NDC disunity over" – Asiedu Nketia
- NDC decides: Here are the winners and losers
- NDC contestant's name missing on ballot paper
- NDC decides: Ofosu Ampofo whips Abodakpi to lead NDC
- No Voltarian in the game, NDC must think about it - Anita De-Soso loses
- Video: Koku's attempt to oust Asiedu Nketia wrong - Ade Coker
- NPP can't teach NDC how to elect leaders - Agyenim Boateng jabs
- Never try to oust your boss – Ade Coker advises after Koku’s defeat
- Photos: Day 2 of NDC National Delegates Congress
- NDC decides: 'Asiedu Nketia shows Koku his level' with 5,000 gap
- 2019 budget will create more jobs for the youth
- Video: NDC explains dragged National Executive elections
- Video: NDC delegates have regretted voting me out - Boateng Gyan boasts
- Video: Nduom’s party “ready for strategic partnership in 2020”