The Electoral Commission (EC) has rejected the nominations of Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom of the Progressive People's Party (PPP), Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings of National Democratic Party and 11 other presidential candidates in the upcoming December polls.
Chairperson of the Commission, Charlotte Osei said the disqualified aspirants did not meet the criteria for filing as presidential candidates.
The rejected political parties are; Ghana Freedom Party (GFP), United Progressive Party (UPP), Reformed Patriotic Democrats (RPD), Progressive People’s Party (PPP), and the Great Consolidated People’s Party (GCPP).
The rest include; United Front Party (UFP), All People’s Congress (APC), National Democratic Party (NDP), and the Independent People’s Party (IPP).
The four presidential candidates who successfully went through the process are the flagbearers of the New Patriotic Party, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, National Democratic Congress, President John Mahama, Convention People’s Party (CPP), Ivor Kobina Greenstreet and an independent candidate, Jacob Yeboah.
Explaining reasons for disqualifying PPP’s Dr Nduom, the EC boss said due diligence was not paid in the filling of the nomination form of the entrepreneur.
She said one Richard Aseda with the voter’s ID number 7812003957 endorsed Dr Nduom’s nomination form as a voter of both the Central and Volta Region, an act that contradicts the laws governing elections in Ghana.
The Commission said: “the same subscriber (Richard Aseda (‘Asida’) endorsed the form with different signatures in both portions of the nomination form. This raises questions as to the legitimacy of one or both signatures.”
These, she said are infractions against this directive as contained in the Constitutional Instrument (C.I.94);
5. (1) A candidate for election as President shall be nominated on a separate nomination form in a manner determined by the Commission.
(2) The nomination form for each candidate in an election for President shall
(a) be signed by the candidate;
(b) be signed by not less than two persons who are registered voters in the area of authority of each district assembly;
(c) designate a person to serve as Vice President; and
(d) be delivered to the Commission on or before the day appointed as nomination day in relation to the election.
(3) The nomination form shall be in quadruplicate and shall be delivered personally by
(a) the presidential candidate, or
(b) the person who proposes or seconds the presidential candidate's nomination between the hours of nine in the morning and twelve noon and the hours of two and five in the afternoon on or before the nomination day.
(4) A person shall not nominate more than one candidate in a presidential election.
(5) The Chairman of the Commission shall be the returning officer for the purpose of the election of President.
Failing to follow through the directive governing the December 7 election, the Commission was unable to accept the nominations of the 13 presidential candidates.
Some of the parties such as the PPP, IPP, PNC and the APC have threatened to challenge the Commission in court.
Watch the video below:
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- NDC would not abolish the free SHS policy – Mahama
- Ahmed's killing cannot end like others - Rawlings condemns “reckless” Agyapong
- Murdered investigator: No reason to narrow probe to Agyapong – Ken Attafuah
- Akufo-Addo, Mahama congratulate Ya Naa -elect
- Yaa Naa’s funeral ends with prayers for harmony
- Referendum and district elections slated for Sept
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed
- My exit from BoG escalated activities of Menzgold - Fmr Deputy Governor
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah