The Presidential candidate of the Progressive People's Party (PPP), Dr. Papa Kwesi Nduom has picked a former Miss Ghana as his running-mate for the 2016 presidential elections.
Brigitte Dzogbenuku who was Miss Ghana 1991 was presented to party delegates at the party headquarters in Asylum Down in the Greater Accra region Thursday, August 3, 2016.
"We have said we want to encourage the young men and women. We have also said we want jobs jobs jobs...you will understand why I have made this choice because the person I am introducing has gotten experience of doing, doing at the grassroots level...here I am standing with Brigitte Dzogbenuku" Dr. Nduom addressed the party.
This is the second time Dr. Nduom has picked a woman for running-mate after an unsucessful run in 2012 with former GBC Director-General Eva Lokko.
In his third attempt at the presidency, the business magnate has chosen the founder and Executive Director of Mentoring Women Ghana (MWG).
It is a nonprofit organization she launched one year after participating in Vital Voices’ Fortune/U.S. State Department Global Women’s Mentoring Partnership in 2008.
She owns a private company that does business with the Barclays Clubhouse, in addition to her non-profit, Mentoring Women Ghana (MWG) organisation.
According to the MWG website, for almost 12 years, Brigitte Dzogbenuku was the General Manager of Aviation Social Centre, a fitness and recreational centre in Accra, where she introduced various innovative fitness programmes and events into this niche industry in Ghana.
She has, since August 2010 established Recreational Facilities Management Company, which manages various leisure, fitness and sports facilities in the capital. She is a Board Member of Enactus Ghana.
Previously she served with Ashanti Goldfields Company Limited as Liaison Officer on the Geita Project in Tanzania at the Dar-Es-Salaam office.
She also worked with SC Johnson Wax as Brands Manager. Before going to Tanzania, for two-and-a-half-years, she ran her own public relations and events management company - Protocol Ventures.
She maintains a regular column, Manners Matter, in the Ghanaian Weekly, The Mirror and continues to give presentations to various groups on manners, courteous behaviour and etiquette and also on fitness and healthy lifestyle.
She is a keen tennis enthusiast and a mother of one.
It is not known how long Brigitte has supported the PPP or Dr. Paa Kwesi Nduom. But a facebook post on May 27,2015, she wrote;
"This is the time for the Paa Kwesi Nduoms and the Abu Sakaras of this world to wake up, smell the coffee and get going! It's no longer a case of rock-and- hard-place or devil-and-deep-blue-sea... there is simply no choice! "
Brigitte Dzogbenuku also participated in a protest organised by pressure group Occupy Ghana in 2014
According to the party, it is part of its all-inclusive strategy not to choose a card-bearing member as a running mate. In an interview with the Daily Graphic, Dr. Nduom said "I am going to surprise Ghanaians, as I did in 2012 with Ms. Lokko, with another formidable,competent and capable running mate to complete my ticket for the presidency".
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ayariga's lawyers urge court to put trial on hold
- Kwame Owusu's appointment to GRA endorses corruption - NDC
- 1.2m new voters added to electoral roll
- Justice Sai explains why A-G is to blame for Afoko's legal pickle
- Ayorkor Botchwey sues Larry Dogbe, The Herald for defamation
- Don’t impose Muntaka on us - Agitated Asawase youth
- Young Professional Network group launches in Canada
- Amidu has legitimate concerns – Anti-corruption campaigner
- NDC targets 170 seats in Parliament
- Use positions to serve, not to amass wealth — Theodora Wood
- Kofi Adams hopeful firming Buem as NDC stronghold
- Amidu laments interference in his work
- New High Court ruling on Afoko bail ‘shocking, bizarre’ – Kpebu
- Remove new GRA Board Chair until impropriety claims are cleared - CSOs
- Treat corruption as high-risk activity – Adwoa Safo