Director of Communications at the Presidency, Eugene Arhin, has revealed there are 208 cars missing from the Flagstaff House pool of vehicles.
The revelations come shortly after the Nana Akufo-Addo-led government set up a task-force to retrieve state assets unlawfully being held by individuals.
The taskforce is composed of the Ghana Police Service, the Ghana Revenue Authority (Customs Division) the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), and persons from the office of the President.
Eugene Arhin would not say if officials in the previous National Democratic Congress (NDC)-led government may have something to do with the unaccounted state vehicles at the Flagstaff House, but describes the situation as "strange".
According to him, the missing cars were detected after the current government took stock of the cars at the seat of government using documents made available by the transport officer at the Flagstaff House.
“What we came to meet was something that surprised all of us. For example, you take a look at the Toyota Landcruiser vehicles, we were supposed to have 196 Toyota Landcruiser vehicles at the Presidency, we only came to meet 74. That means you have a total of 122 which we still cannot find.
“For the Toyota Landcruiser Prados, the total is 73. But we only came to meet 20, so you have a 43 difference.
“You look at something like the Mercedes-Benz; there were 24 in total, but we came to meet 11. Toyota Avalons; there were 28, but we came to meet two and for the BMWs, there were six and we came to meet only two,” he told the media, Wednesday.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Akufo-Addo’s first-half is over; time for your SCORECARD
- 2020: NDC needs consensus, not unity – Political Scientist
- "My son Anyidoho's decision to contest me not betrayal" - Asiedu Nketia
- "Days of NDC disunity over" – Asiedu Nketia
- NDC decides: Here are the winners and losers
- NDC contestant's name missing on ballot paper
- NDC decides: Ofosu Ampofo whips Abodakpi to lead NDC
- No Voltarian in the game, NDC must think about it - Anita De-Soso loses
- Video: Koku's attempt to oust Asiedu Nketia wrong - Ade Coker
- NPP can't teach NDC how to elect leaders - Agyenim Boateng jabs
- Never try to oust your boss – Ade Coker advises after Koku’s defeat
- Photos: Day 2 of NDC National Delegates Congress
- NDC decides: 'Asiedu Nketia shows Koku his level' with 5,000 gap
- 2019 budget will create more jobs for the youth
- Video: NDC explains dragged National Executive elections