The opposition National Democratic Congress bent on holding the government accountable for its appointment of a Director for a non-existent sea port at Keta in the Volta region.
The Deputy Transport Minister, Titus Glover, has previously justified the decision, saying that Dr. Alexander Adusei will “supervise the groundwork” and act as a “liaison” officer to “engage consultants, architects and the community.”
But the NDC is not convinced.
In a Twitter update Tuesday, a Deputy Communications Minister under the erstwhile John Mahama government attacked the appointment, describing it as “ridiculous.”
Felix Kwakye Ofosu wrote: “the appointment of a 'Director' for the non-existent Keta Port, has to go down in history as the most ridiculous appointment in the political and governance history of Ghana.”
Felix Kwakye Ofosu has been a persistent critic of the Akufo-Addo administration
His comments follow that of the MP for Keta, Richard Quarshigah who asked the government to rescind the appointment immediately.
In a press statement, the legislator described the appointment as “baffling” and “preposterous.”
“It can be likened to Ghana Education Service posting a head teacher to a community where indeed there is no school, no teachers and for that matter no students or pupils,” he wrote.
“…in the name of God solemnly plead with President Akufo Addo to reverse the horrendous decision of an appointment,” he added.
The MP is, however, insistent that natives of his constituency are hopeful of having a seaport, the reason they applauded him when he issued the Executive Instrument declaring the coastline of our beloved Keta as a seaport.
Quarshigah wants the President to “bring back their hopes” by engaging in fruitful, pragmatic and practical approaches in making real the Keta dream for a seaport.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Wereko Brobby meets Akufo-Addo over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- No pickup, no mercy - NDC tells Savannah Region Minister
- Vigilantism Bill passed into law
- NIA begins registration exercise in Volta region
- CID’s investigation of Charles Bissue political – Martin Amidu
- NDC primaries: 74 pick forms for 18 constituencies in Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo resumes regional tours with Western, Central visit
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament